Dyebased & Pigment inks

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked before but a link to the reply would be helpful thanks,

I Use CLi8 &PGi5 carts in a Canon MP 610 printer and recently purchased some refill inks from another supplier.
The inks are dyebased for the colour carts and pigment for the PGi5.

Can these inks be switched around ie using dyebase in the PGi5 and pigment in the CLi8 ?

I ask in case I end up using more of the black ink in one cart and less in the other.

Thanks

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I believe the general consensus of opinion is:-

You must not run any pigment ink thru a CLI8 cart.
You can replace the pigment ink within a PGi5 with dye black ink. (but once done it should remain so , do not switch back to pigment black)

I have converted all my PGI5 carts to Dye based black , I myself think there may be less likleyhood of clogging of the pigment black channel in this configuration.

Some may recommend you flush out the Pigment cart before refilling with the dye black, ( I never have).

Purists will not do this black dye for pigment swop. The pigment black gives good strong black text , which will not run if moisture drops get on the page. The dye text will vanish if moisture gets on it, and its not so black.

To overcome this drawback , my mailing labels are "fixed" with a suitable spray of artists "fixer" to protect them in the event of rain during the delivery process. The text contents within the envelope are not.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
headphonesman said:
You can replace the pigment ink within a PGi5 with dye black ink. (but once done it should remain so , do not switch back to pigment black)
Why should one not switch back to pigment black ink once the cartridge is filled with dye-based black ink?

Purists will not do this black dye for pigment swop.
Nah, we're "performancists"! Ok, that's a made-up word. :D But the desire is for good performance, not a penchant for purity. Purity would be using Canon OEM inks only.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
duncan22 said:
Can these inks be switched around ie using dyebase in the PGi5 and pigment in the CLi8 ?
I ask in case I end up using more of the black ink in one cart and less in the other.Thanks
You are asking about the black cartridges, the large PGI5 black one and the small CLI8 black one right ?

No. Serious clogging risk put aside, the small black cartridge has to be dye-based as photo papers are only printed with dyes (in most Canons).

You should avoid switching types of ink in a cartridge, at least without a good purging, because coagulation which may result from the mix is really nasty. (Never mix these two types in the same container)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You should avoid switching types of ink in a cartridge, at least without a good purging,
because coagulation which may result from the mix is really nasty.
(Never mix these two types in the same container)
Sorry pasos but I have done the very same with my PGI-blacks over the years without suffering any ill effects.
I did however purge the cartridges on switching back to pigment ink use..:)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hat, I think you took a risk.

I am talking from experience here. I had mixed black dye and pigmented and the mixture was killing my HP print heads. A black mud had formed in the bottom of the bottle.

A few years later I bought some BCI-3Bk compatible cartridges and the vendor informed me that they were filled with dye ink and should I decided to refill them with pigmented black I would have to be sure they were as empty as possible because a certain ratio of dye & pigment causes coagulation.

I believe within my choice of words ("avoid switching types of ink in a cartridge, never mix these types in a container") my advice is a good one.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
panos said:
Hat, I think you took a risk.

I am talking from experience here. I had mixed black dye and pigmented and the mixture was killing my HP print heads. A black mud had formed in the bottom of the bottle.

A few years later I bought some BCI-3Bk compatible cartridges and the vendor informed me that they were filled with dye ink and should I decided to refill them with pigmented black I would have to be sure they were as empty as possible because a certain ratio of dye & pigment causes coagulation.

I believe within my choice of words ("avoid switching types of ink in a cartridge, never mix these types in a container") my advice is a good one.
As I said I have done this with three or four different printers the exact amount of time is unknown to me
and never a problem with 10s of thousands of sheets, so you reckon I was just luck.:bow

Your vender was wrong in given you that advice; he got it the wrong way round.
You can mix DYE with pigment but you chance your luck when mixing PIGMENT into dye,
this is in reference to Canon printers and not HP..

duncan22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
I Guess it's simply not worth taking the risk as an extra bottle of ink is around 5.

pkjorlie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I bought a used Canon MP610 that I gave to my mother. She prints web pages, emails, word and excell documents almost exclusively and on plain paper. The thread above suggests that the printer would use pigmented ink exclusively for this. After replacing all cartridges about 3 months ago, the pigmented black is completely full and the dye based black is empty, as are the color cartridges.
I don't understand why.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Take a look at the following settings from your printing preferences, profiles tab:

Media Type: Plain Paper
Printing Type: Normal-size Printing
Duplex Printing: OFF

In order for your printer to use the pigmented black these settings must be the same as above.