Dye based ink

JEI17

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS9520, Canon TS8220
I'm familiar with CLI-281 ink cartridges.

With my new TS9520 printer Canon's web site specifies CLI "dye-based" cartridges. Are they interchangeable with the ones I'm familiar with? I don't see them on Amazon, for example.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The TS9520 uses 5 ink cartridges, four dye inks CLI-281 C, CLI-281 M, CLI-281 Y and CLI-281 BK. It also uses a special pigment black cartridge for plain paper only, the PGI-280.

All cartridges compatible with CLI-281 cartridges are dye based. A few cartridges compatible with PGI-280 use a pigment ink but most also use dye based ink instead of pigment ink in the "big black" cartridge.

The reason is that many cheap after market pigment inks clogged the pigment black nozzles and ruined the printheads. A solution to this problem is to use dye based ink in the PGI-xxx cartridges. This will not clog the pigment black nozzles nozzles but you lose the benefits of the special pigment ink, water fastness and a deeper black and sharper text print.

I don't know which cartridges you are familiar with, but I noticed a lot of ads for after market ink cartridges at the Amazon website. I don't know these cartridges so I cannot tell anything about their quality.

Last edited: