Drying time for black and white prints

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
I searched for this topic to no avail so ..... I'm aware of opinions/facts that suggest at least 24 hours drying time for most prints. How about for 13x19 b&w matte prints using dye inks. My b&w prints consist of large areas of pure black. I have been laying them out to dry for a day or so and then adding them to a boxed stack of previous prints - lets say 50 to a box. Should I inter-leaf with thin sheets of acid-free paper? (This one got me thinking about paper texture transference onto the print) Should I even stack at all? Or fewer per box? Longer dry time?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
How smooth is the back side of those papers you are using for your prints ? The ink solvent does not disappear instantly even if papers are called instant dry or similar, the solvent stays in the top coating and evaporates rather slowly from there. Epson recommends a waiting time for their inks and papers of 24 hrs in the large format range before you do lamination. If you laminate too early the coating may separate from the base paper , stick to the film and create bubbles underneath from the trapped solvent. Epson apparently has changed something with their latest Durabrite ink generation and still recommends a waiting time of 8 hours before you laminate. The situation may be somewhat different with your prints and inks, but the Epson recommendation just indicates that it takes a while until you can consider a print really dry. There may be another effect with your prints - that some of the black ink may transfer to the back side of the next sheet, that's an effect you def. could prevent with a separation sheet.

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
Yes thank you but up to now I haven't thought about lamination. I'm using Canon Pro Premium Matte PM 101 paper and OEM dye ink. I've read that the solvent takes a while to evap. and that's why I'm not stacking for at least a day - just air drying.

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
Look for glassine paper. You can get it in sheets. For longterm storage all I found is not to stack more than 25 sheets in a box. The box should be made with archival material and PAT certified. Humidity always less than 60 % and cool 14 °C if possible. I have no problems with higher temperatures with my old analog prints. Now 50 years old and still fine.