Dreaded P07/5B00 message on Canon Pixma MP499

Louise Martin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP499
Hi,

I've got a Canon Pixma MP499 with a P07/5B00 message and I've spent hours trying to sort it but with no luck. I cannot get it into service mode (have tried numerous combination of button pressing) and therefore can't get it to read the service tool that I've managed to download. Where am I going wrong ?? Desperately need my printer to work, and reluctant to just go out and buy another printer when this one essentially works fine ! Please any advice to be 'idiot proof' !!

Many thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Cannon error code P07 is Ink Absorber Full code. The counter for this function needs to be reset after entering Service Mode using a service tool. Further printing is prevented until this reset has occurred. Replacing or cleaning your current ink absorber pads might be wise to prevent ink leaking in the future, though you may be able to go quite some time without a leak. Sitting the printer on a tray of some kind to catch a leak can prevent spills.

Some questions that may help you to get answers:
  1. What procedure(s) have you used to try to enter Service Mode? Be specific.
  2. What Service Tool do you have?

Louise Martin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP499
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have used printer off, hold reset button,hold power button, push reset button twice, release power button to enter service mode. I have also tried pressing 6 times reset button in same pattern. Neither has worked and it still reading PO7 message. Have tried using this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBpioLPm3M with no resolution.

Service tool used as in pic - ServiceTool_V1050 but is not responsive so I don't think I've got it installed correctly.

Many thanks for your help

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    434.8 KB · Views: 621

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service tools are .exe files. They need no install, you just double click them to run them. But if the printer has not entered service mode, the service tool program will of course be unresponsive, this is not caused by some faulty install.

I searched for a service manual for the MP499 but found none. Checking a Canon website for a driver for the printer, a driver for MP495 is offered, so I think the MP499 and MP495 are very similar. There are many other very similar models, and they all need the procedure you described or a similar procedure using five times pressing the stop/release button, to enter service mode.

Here is a supplementary service manual for the MP495, the procedure is found on page 6/15. The instruction for entering service mode in the service manuals are not always quite clear, so I have edited it slightly to make it more clear:
i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 5 times, and then release the Power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation.

The service tool shown in the service manual looks like version 1.050. This version does not support as many printers as newer versions and might have problems with 64 bit Windows versions. I recommend version 3.400 instead. This works with all Windows versions from XP and on and both 32 and 64 bit. This post by @CakeHole has the service tool attached as a .rar archive. I think this is the safest way to get the service tool. After download the service tool must of course be unpacked before use.

Resetting the ink absorber counter doesn't make the ink go away. Some say you can reset the counter just once and continue printing, others say you risk a very nasty ink spill when the absorbers overflow. I recommend cleaning, drying and reinstalling the absorbers.

Even if your printer might have wireless capability, service mode operations only work with a USB connection. When doing service mode operations no other printers must be connected to the computer.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Louise Martin -- excellent advice from @PeterBJ , the undisputed king of Service Manuals.

Canon may have different key press sequences to enter Service Mode for each model of printer, though Canon will use the same sequence across more than one model printer. Rarely, unfortunately, their Service Manual may list the incorrect key press procedure. Since we cannot find the specific Service Manual for your printer, and I looked as well, the one PeterBJ linked is the best/closest available. Hopefully it is the correct procedure for your printer. Otherwise, time for a new printer or spend ridiculous amounts of money to have a Canon authorized service center do the reset.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Congratulations! :clap

What was it that helped you complete the reset -- the different sequence of button pushes, the different service tool, or both?

Louise Martin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP499
It was the knowledge about the service mode showing a green light, really helped to progess and then access to the right Service tool. Bumbled my way through the service tool, not sure really how I did it but it worked anyway ! However, I'm now on the look out for another printer as have reoccurance of problems printing with non original cartridges and the chips wearing out. Erghh....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you for all your help - my printer is up and running again :)
@Louise Martin, don’t forget that the waste ink in the bottom of your printer has not magically gone away, and given time and it will reappear in a place you won’t like very much... Ouch...:th

Louise Martin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP499
Ummm ! I have a Epson Stylus Photo R360 sitting here with the same problem - Waste ink pad saturated. Anyone know if I can get that sorted too ??