Dollar Store Inkjet Refill Kit.... You've got to be kidding!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Just got back from a trip to the Dollar Store. I'm always amazed at what we can produce for a buck... especially when you factor in design, materials, labor, marketing, multiple distribution channels and middle-men, and all the associated overhead. Just crazy that this can all be pulled off for a single dollar. Just 100 pennies!

Anyway, I digress. I was isle strolling when I saw a bunch of Ink Jet Refill Kits. I had to get one to show to all my forum friends. See pictures below. Included are:

1) Very basic (VERY) instructions.
2) Ink container
3) Needle and Needle cap (by themselves maybe worth my $)
4) Thumb screw
5) A little steel ball / BB
6) A tiny little bit of tape

Don't worry, I'm not going to be using this in any of my cartridges, but I thought I'd share this with everyone. If anything I'll use it to refill some pens. :)

dollar_store_inkjet.jpg

dollar_store_inkjet_2.jpg

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
We have the same sort of shop here in England, called Poundland. I have been running my MP150 and iP4000 on kits bought from here for the last 6 months. They vary from time to time in the composition of the kits, like 2x30ml bottles for 1, to a colour (contained in a nice "concertina" bodied syringe, with one poly glove, ballbearing, screw, etc. for 1.
I can honestly say I have never had a clog on either machine with this ink, (the colour may have to be watched for calibration from each purchase, and tweaks carried out).
From time to time they do "buy one get one free".........then I really score!

The concertina ones are lablelled for Epson, Canon and HP. I thought this was a sham and they were the same in each......they are (I think),......... except the HP Magenta which is definitely different to the the Canon Magenta, the HP being "brighter".

If I was doing a "proper" photographic print I would be using my "proper" carts which I keep in reserve.

chippedoff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Interesting.

I went to several local dollarama and dollar stores, didn't find any but walmart sells these little black (30ml) accordion style refill kits, lot's of sundries like stainless steel bearing, plugs for epson exit ports, plugs for hp, canon and epson, some strange spring wire hook (no idea what that's for though), and an eye dropper like tool for hp's.

Walmart used to sell the colour kits, but never seem to restock.

The black alone is 3.95$ and the colour (C/Y/M/BK) is 10.84$.

Works well.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yeah, not a lot of consistency between the merchandise in many of these stores. I think the one I went to was a "Dollar Tree". In fact it is here that I got my tap lights (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/mini-tap-light.php). I've called about 10 stores and tried to contact the corp. office to find out where I can get more... no luck.

Abdul

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I bought iPrint Refilling Kit from Big Lots!. Black sells for $8 and the Color one for $12. The kit and the ink work just great. I have a unique way to unclog an HP Cartridge, which may work for other brands too, using Washing Machine's Spin Cycle. See the Posts on Unclog.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Abdul that is a good idea, My wife just got a front loader that has a speed of 1400rpm, I will have to wait till she goes out. She would kill me if I used it for that reason, it's her present toy. It would beat my method of placing the cart in a plastic bag and twirling it.

Terry