Does the Canon W6200 head has filters in it?

levasc

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon W6200
Hi, I have got a printer W6200 which has been unused for a long time. Tubes were semifilled with ink, so there were many air cavities.Black, Magenta color nozzles clogged completelly, only cyan printing correctly. I have flushed the tubes with solution many times however some ink stains (probably dried up) are seen in the tubes. I have a new printhead. I wander, could I try filling the tubes with ink and replace the printing head (having made a good flush of tubes with ink with an old printing head), or should I seek replacing the tubes.
Also, do you know, if printerheads do have any filters in the printing heads? That is, ar they tollerant to some contamination?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you have flushed the tubing with a good cleaning solution containing a very small amount of Ammonia, that should be more than sufficient and be ok to use again.

Fill all your carts with ink and run a system flush, this will remove all the remaining solution from the tubing, then and only then run a nozzle check, don’t print while you have cleaning solution in the ink tubing, Canon print heads don't tolerate water.

If, however you think the print head is still clogged then before you run the system flush try soaking the head in a dish of warm water with a few drops of Fairy washing up liquid overnight, then thoroughly dry the head somewhere nice and warm and then try reinstalling, you can at that stage use the new print head if you wish and not bother clean the old one.

The standard print head has small filters where the tubing dampers join the head but they get cleaned whenever you do any maintenance cleaning, you better have a spare maintenance cartridge because all this cleaning with fill your existing one...
The W6200 can be an expensive beast to bring back into service once again.:hide

levasc

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon W6200
So many thanks again!! :)
I really feel like I owe you something :D (which probably I really do :)).
I probably will update this thread if I will end up successfully. I have flushed the tubes many times with cleaning solutions, blowed the tubes with canned air to clean from cleaning solution and used more than a half of ink to flush afterwards (dozen of times during a week or so). So far I am 99% confident, that a new head that I got on a bargain should revive the printer this weekend. I hope.
Well it is expensive, but I somehow was driven by curiosity, I feel it is like a lotery, either I will win or not, will see.
But you helped me a lot, many thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@levasc, if you have bought a cheapo print head on EBay, then beware because you may just have been stung, hopefully I am wrong and everything with be ok..

levasc

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon W6200
So many thanks!
It is working. : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kj5Gy3ejHGjudjrNJpDJ24_C9I5wO6O9zQ/view?usp=sharing
Was it worth it.. It cost me.. >300eur (new head), so I am not sure.. maybe I would have found a working used printer for this money. But I got this printer for free.
Now the importat part is to keep it working.. (I will try to print photos on inkjet canvas).
It turned out that inkjets need different media :), it is bleeding heavily on eco-solvent paper :)

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
It turned out that inkjets need different media :), it is bleeding heavily on eco-solvent paper :)

Silly question, but are you printing on the correct side of the paper? I've accidentally misloaded paper and it was such a wonderful mess...:he

levasc

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon W6200
It prints well printhead nozzle check, and text, and simple graphics, but if I try to print a colorful photo, I get a beautifull watercolor painting :D, if i brighten the image and print it on heavier paper, it is better. But I did not find many printer settings.
For example, I would like to reduce the speed of head, to print slower. Choose more passes.
I found that inkscape (open source) prints fast, and gimp slower with the same printer settings, so I did not yet understand why. But I would like to reduce speed even more, but there are only like photo, graphic.. settings.
Also I do not understand about media types. I read that the plain paper uses least ink. But maybe there is other media which uses less :)

I use not original ink. I think there are no anymore original inks for this printer (except expired), also they are more expensive. Maybe it can be the cause, but I will check how it will work on canvas, when I receive it :)

levasc

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon W6200
Hi :) I did not found a section for solvent printers (I have Roland ecosolvent) on this forum. Is it only for inkjet / laser..?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have Roland ecosolvent) on this forum. Is it only for inkjet / laser..?
This forum is for every type of home printing and related problems, but as you might have gathered it deals mostly with Inkjet printers and to a lesser extent Lasers Printers and now 3D Printers, but we try our best to help anybody in trouble regardless of printer preferences... ;)

Latest posts