Do Top-fill, "always-full" Cartridges For The 3880 Exist?

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
This has probably already been discussed somewhere, but I can't find anything, so I'm asking here:

are there any refillable cartridges for the Epson 3880 that can be filled from the top (so that they don't have to be taken out of the printer every time) and they are also of the "always full" chip type (again not forcing you to take them out to reset)?

I've seen those "bigfoot" cartridges sold by inkjetfly, but they just look too big to me and I'm afraid there are going to be flow issues whenever ink level drops and they will probably work better being kept full all the time.
Those sold by Inkrepublic are smaller and can be refilled while on the printer, but there's a long procedure for resetting them, which I don't like (most of the print jobs I'm using the printer for, require one or more full cartridges to complete, and not having to deal with that tedious resetting procedure in the middle of every run would be great).

Would it be possible to get the cartridges from inkrepublic and get some "always full" chips elsewhere to use with them? Do you know of any supplier of such chips, or better yet, cartridges similar to them but with the other type of chip?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
This has probably already been discussed somewhere, but I can't find anything, so I'm asking here:

are there any refillable cartridges for the Epson 3880 that can be filled from the top (so that they don't have to be taken out of the printer every time) and they are also of the "always full" chip type (again not forcing you to take them out to reset)?

I've seen those "bigfoot" cartridges sold by inkjetfly, but they just look too big to me and I'm afraid there are going to be flow issues whenever ink level drops and they will probably work better being kept full all the time.
Those sold by Inkrepublic are smaller and can be refilled while on the printer, but there's a long procedure for resetting them, which I don't like (most of the print jobs I'm using the printer for, require one or more full cartridges to complete, and not having to deal with that tedious resetting procedure in the middle of every run would be great).

Would it be possible to get the cartridges from inkrepublic and get some "always full" chips elsewhere to use with them? Do you know of any supplier of such chips, or better yet, cartridges similar to them but with the other type of chip?

I think the expert on pretty much all that is available in refillable carts for the PRO 3800 / 3880 series of printers is The Pharmacist.

I also longed for a way to be able to refill from the top and retain the always full chip condition. I did not want o go with these large carts that cause you to have to leave open or remove the ink compartment door. You then have to fool it into thinking it is closed with a little plastic tab.
Some carts require you to tape over a terminal on the OEM chip and use two controller chips supplied with the carts.

Others need all the original chips to reside under 9 controller chips. In that class there are some that claim they retain ink monitoring and some stay full all the time.
The ones that maintain ink monitoring require a procedure of resetting involving the maintenance cart and all 9 carts.

I decided neither of these would suit me. So I stayed with refillable 80ml carts from Inkjetcarts which for the 3800 only required the MK and PK original chips.

You still have to remove the carts for refilling but that doesn't have too often.
I modified my 80ml IJC carts for top filling and they have been in continuous service now since about a year ago.
See photo. I run them on OCP K3 inks for its sure low cost.
To fill, then you open up the ink door, allow the carts to depressurize, remove new top fill plug, inject ink being careful as because of the position of the plug you can no longer inject tot he top. By using a small bright LED flashlight you can see the ink levels on the semi translucent cart material. Once you've added ink, you re plug and close the ink door.
The IJC set also comes with a permanent Maintenance Cart chip. You can repack the carts when needed with hydrophilic absorbent pads cut to size.
I and other had doubts this would work, but the proof is that I've had zero problems on two PRO3800 using the same modified carts.

Joe

Attachments

• FF748B58A7524EE4A69B9AA61314164E.jpg
    FF748B58A7524EE4A69B9AA61314164E.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 303

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I think the expert on pretty much all that is available in refillable carts for the PRO 3800 / 3880 series of printers is The Pharmacist.

I decided neither of these would suit me. So I stayed with refillable 80ml carts from Inkjetcarts which for the 3800 only required the MK and PK original chips.

You still have to remove the carts for refilling but that doesn't have too often.
I modified my 80ml IJC carts for top filling and they have been in continuous service now since about a year ago.
See photo. I run them on OCP K3 inks for its sure low cost.

Joe

IJC now sell a 120ml top-fill version for the 3880, but they don't specify what type of chips they use, do you happen to know if they need resetting or always show full?

What you did with your carts looks awesome, I wonder why no manufacturer hasn't come up with something similar yet.
On that subject, do you think it could be possible to fill those cartridges while on the printer, by tilting the whole printer backwards (so the refill holes come on top), and temporarily removing the maintenance tank for not spilling the ink in it?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
IJC now sell a 120ml top-fill version for the 3880, but they don't specify what type of chips they use, do you happen to know if they need resetting or always show full?

What you did with your carts looks awesome, I wonder why no manufacturer hasn't come up with something similar yet.
On that subject, do you think it could be possible to fill those cartridges while on the printer, by tilting the whole printer backwards (so the refill holes come on top), and temporarily removing the maintenance tank for not spilling the ink in it?
You would gain another 10ml which is not a big deal for me at all. I rather not do that.
I can still add about 70 ml of ink which will last a very long time. The idea is to not have to remove the carts and not have to remove or leave the ink door open as with the other carts you are talking about. I only know that the 3800 chips show always full. Not sure about the 3880 since I do not have one.

It's NOT as straight forward as you might think. That new refill DRILLED hole is not a secure as the original MOLDED and very smooth like the original one.
Drilled holes are always NEVER as smooth and accurate as the originals. You only have ONE layer of plastic to effect a seal. Remember these carts are pressurized so your seal had better be perfect.

Mikling gave a ton of insight on that subject while I was experimenting.

I used a # drill bit ( I can't remember the actual diameter but it is a hair smaller than 5/32" equivalent Number (#) drills are used in machining ) experimenting until I found the perfect diameter bit that gave me the perfect seal of the plug.
If you screw one up your are well.... screwed!

Joe