PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
I'm in the process of flushing the used CLI-42 carts I bought from luckff off eBay and am having a difficult time getting the sponges pristine white as compared to the completely cleaned and dried yellow cart included in Precision Colors' 16oz Squezy Deluxe Refill Kit. I'm hoping the yellow sponge will become whiter as it dries; it's the first cart I tackled and at the point of letting it dry for a day or two.

The method I'm using is one demonstrated on @jtoolman's video where you switch between using a syringe to push glass cleaner and tap water through the top plug. This is taking a long time, especially on magenta carts.

I'm wondering if I should buy and use the kit demonstrated by OctoInkjet in this video:
He's pushing distilled water through the bottom sponge hole. Should I be doing this; using only distilled water?

I'm going back to flushing, but will append photos as I progress. Here's the two yellow carts side-by-side, on the left is Precision Colors' prepped cart (13.61 grams) and on the right my not-yet-dried cart (15.01 grams).
_MG_4912.1_ig.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Precision Colors' prepped cart
A CLI-8 Yellow cartridge.

my not-yet-dried cart
A CLI-42 Yellow Cartridge. Different ink that responds differently to flushing. It has been noted that water causes Yellow CLI-423 ink to "gel" in the sponge and print head a number of refills after the flush. Recommended to use glass cleaner or other such flush instead or water only with the Yellow CLI-42 if you are flushing.

Your cartridge looks good from what I can see. If you are unsure then flush again to remove more Yellow.

I'm wondering if I should buy and use the kit demonstrated by OctoInkjet
I think the syringe method of flushing is cheap, as you probably have the equipment to do the job already, but is tedious at best. If you are going to drill a hole in the cartridge to refill it, why not purchase some plastic tubing whose inner diameter securely fits over the ink exit port on the cartridge, a (threaded) faucet adapter to fit onto a (threaded) sink faucet, and a stainless steel hose clamp to attach the faucet adapter to the plastic tubing. Your flushing will be done in seconds with little effort. Of course this is for all cartridges EXCEPT THE CLI-42 YELLOW CARTRIDGE! Use your syringe or whatever method to flush with glass cleaner for the CLI-42 Yellow cartridge.

I like this guy's inventiveness. He uses a condiment dispenser bottle to flush! Nice! I hope he is a member here.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
A CLI-8 Yellow cartridge.
Ah HA! I suspected something was up when I read this:
_MG_4917.3_ig.jpg

I then dug into the instructions and found how to swap the CLI-42 chip. I will go with my eBay CLI-42 yellow that I just flushed.

So far, here are the eight CLI-42 cartridges I got from luckff off eBay. I intentionally maxed out the saturation so as to enhance the reminents of ink still inside.
_MG_4916.2_ig.jpg

_MG_4915.1_ig.jpg

So, any bit of water in the yellow cartridge will cause Yellow Gel eventually? Should I rinse the yellow cartridge with window cleaner lastly?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
OK. Original Canon PRO-100 are very tenacious and difficult to 100% flush out to a pristine snow white sponge condition. Not at all like with CLI-8s.
I always recommend initially flush them with pure Windex.
Let the Windex do its thing for several hours and then flush with warm water.
The yellow cart may need to Windex soaks and then water flush. All the yellow carts I am running have been original ones that I flushed before filling with PC yellow.
By the way I think I may have been the first who reported to PC the yellow jelling problem.
After my yellow channel became half blocked I was luckily able to completely clear it by dripping Windex directly on the print head yellow inlet port. I that k Mike for that!
From then on the recommended procedure has been to replace the OEM yellow cart with a flushed CLI-8 cart.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
@jtoolman Okay, I did all the above. Now, I should let it dry to under 14 grams?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the process of flushing the used CLI-42 carts I bought from luckff off eBay and am having a difficult time getting the sponges pristine white as compared to the completely cleaned and dried yellow cart included in Precision Colors' 16oz Squezy Deluxe Refill Kit. I'm hoping the yellow sponge will become whiter as it dries; it's the first cart I tackled and at the point of letting it dry for a day or two.

The method I'm using is one demonstrated on @jtoolman's video where you switch between using a syringe to push glass cleaner and tap water through the top plug. This is taking a long time, especially on magenta carts.

I'm wondering if I should buy and use the kit demonstrated by OctoInkjet in this video:
He's pushing distilled water through the bottom sponge hole. Should I be doing this; using only distilled water?

I'm going back to flushing, but will append photos as I progress. Here's the two yellow carts side-by-side, on the left is Precision Colors' prepped cart (13.61 grams) and on the right my not-yet-dried cart (15.01 grams).
_MG_4912.1_ig.jpg
Easy way to really flush well; https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/cli-42-cart-flush-first-attempt.10963/page-4#post-95985

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
@avolanche The vinyl hose sounds great. Yet another trip to the hardware store (it's not a project unless you make three runs). But, I couldn't find pharmacists solution; what is that and could you include a link, please?

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm ready to refill tomorrow morning! :weee
I hastened the drying process by buying vinyl hose, attaching it to the bottom port near the sponge, and inserting it into my vacuum. It drew anywhere from 0.2 to 2.0 grams of water from these eight cartridges putting them all well under 14 grams.
I'll consider the above method next time including possibly the Pharmacist's Solution.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The pharmacist solution is more for reconditioning and light cleansing purposes, it helps restore cartridges back to pristine condition, and Windex does the better job at cleaning... ;)