Did the purge pump on my 1400 break?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
The dyebased one that got clogged, I finally got the nozzles used for Photo RPM unclogged by puddling The Hat's purge solution on the parking pad. I used to be able to nozzle check / unplug / move printhead / puddle solution / plug back in and immediately turn off via the button and the fluid would stay on the parking pad. I tried it again tonight just to try to unclog the rest of it and the fluid goes straight into the waste tank. Uh-oh.

bobjoek

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I'm not sure that you have a purge pump problem. On my 1400 when I puddle the parking pad, the fluid drains within 10-15 seconds and the purge pump appears to function normally.

Bob

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Fenrir Enterprises, If your flooded purge pads drain away all most instantly then you may have a tube that has come loose on the bottom of the purge unit, but @bobjoek reckons 10-15 seconds is still ok.;)

If you have an external waste ink tank fitted you can visually check this very easily.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
@Fenrir Enterprises, If your flooded purge pads drain away all most instantly then you may have a tube that has come loose on the bottom of the purge unit, but @bobjoek reckons 10-15 seconds is still ok.;)

If you have an external waste ink tank fitted you can visually check this very easily.
It drains away instantly but it goes into the waste tank. It didn't do that before and the other printer doesn't do that. The last time I ran a cleaning cycle it purged into the waste tank so I'm assuming it's still working but I haven't run one since I got it printing OK. Just kinda weird.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
At a guess I'd say the parts that squeeze the waste tube are wearing down somewhat and allowing the fluid to follow gravity down to the tank.

Had the same thing with an R1900. It's not a serious issue but it will likely reduce the effectiveness of the pump over time, in terms of the suction power it has.