Deskjet 1000 refill - only magenta comes out - what went wrong?

KasperDM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4500,HP Deskjet 1000,
Hello everyone,

As I wrote in my new-member post, I am starting to experiment with different printers, given to me by friends and through the internet. As I don't know yet where I want to end up, I decided to try to refill the carts of a HP Deskjet 1000 110a that was given to me (which uses HP301 carts, called HP61 in most parts of the world).
After retrieving functional Mac OS software drivers, I went to the nearest store here in Brussels, Belgium which sold refill kits and bought these two:

https://kitencre.be/cartouche-195-kit-encre-couleur-3-x-30-ml.html
https://kitencre.be/cartouche-196-kit-encre-noir-3-x-30-ml.html

Expensive, and since the use this system where you attach the needle to the ink bottle directly (not using a syringe), not very practical, in retrospect.

Although I'm not unhappy having a printer now which only prints magenta, I want to understand what went wrong.

- The labels did not come off easily, the one from the black cart ripped when removing it. Is that a possible reason why it won't print black?
- When filling the colour cart, it was very hard inserting the very small amount of ink needed (due to the large 'syringe' system), so they overflowed. I sucked the ink out until I saw the sponge again.
- I left both carts out of the printer for a night after refilling them. In the morning, the paper towel I had put them on was soaked with ink.
- After inserting the carts back in the printer, I ran several cleaning cycles. At first magenta and blue came out, from the third cleaning cycle only magenta came out.
- I noticed the print heads on the carts are quite dirty from sitting on the paper towel all night - is it ok to clean them with water?

Looking forward to your insights,
Thanks,

Kasper

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm a kind of irritated about the ink you are using - for use with Epson, Canon, HP, Lexmark - that's pretty universal which makes me sceptical. And your printer is not listed there in the compatibility list either. or is it the 110 instead of the 110a ?. And you may better get an inkjet cleaner instead of using water for your cleaning activities. I'm not familiar with the cartridges you are trying to refill so I don't know what can go wrong there, whether you need to do some priming action or to get air out of ink channels to get the ink flowing or whether you need to soak and clean the cleaning unit of the printer, the place where the printhead is sitting in the idle position. And you may look for the service manual of your printer to get some instructions for this or that problem.
Refill instructions for the HP301 cartrigde
https://www.octopus-office.de/info/...-refill-instructions-for-hp-301-301-xl-color/

KasperDM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4500,HP Deskjet 1000,
I'm a kind of irritated about the ink you are using - for use with Epson, Canon, HP, Lexmark - that's pretty universal which makes me sceptical. And your printer is not listed there in the compatibility list either. or is it the 110 instead of the 110a ?. And you may better get an inkjet cleaner instead of using water for your cleaning activities. I'm not familiar with the cartridges you are trying to refill so I don't know what can go wrong there, whether you need to do some priming action or to get air out of ink channels to get the ink flowing or whether you need to soak and clean the cleaning unit of the printer, the place where the printhead is sitting in the idle position. And you may look for the service manual of your printer to get some instructions for this or that problem.
Refill instructions for the HP301 cartrigde
https://www.octopus-office.de/info/...-refill-instructions-for-hp-301-301-xl-color/

Hallo Ink Stained Fingers, and thanks for your reaction!

Sorry, didn't mean to get you irritated. Since I had seen on the Kitencre website that it seemed they made ink for different brands separately, I asked the vendor why it said on the box that these inks could be used for different brands, but he was of no help, so being a n00b and perhaps too eager to get started I accepted this.
On the instruction manual inside the refill kit my printer is mentioned, so according to the people producing the ink, it should be fine.
Will look around the forum for info on inkjet cleaner solution.

I did follow the instructions as they are given in the site you mention (thanks for that!), though I wonder the large amounts of ink that came out of the carts overnight mightn't be due to the fact that I would have perforated the screen at the bottom of the cart.

Kasper