Dell 3110cn Cartridge issues?

Undervalued

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I would be grateful for any words of wisdom....

I have a Dell 3110cn which I acquired a while back which printed beautifully. It had four genuine cartridges although the magenta and black were nearly at capacity. The transfer belt is saying "close to life" but seems to have done c. 80K out of a rated 100K. 20K pages will last me many years!

Anyway, after a couple of hundred prints the magenta seemed to run a bit weak, just before its rated capacity. The cartridges are horribly expensive at retail but I managed to find an unopened original magenta and black at a remaindered cartridge supplier at a good price.

Sadly the magenta was faulty, leaving wavy magenta lines at roughly one inch intervals. Supplier refunded as no more in stock. They were also keen to take the unopened black back "in case it had the same problem"!

So, I bought a compatible magenta elsewhere. Also faulty, but this time leaving a straight magenta line at three inch intervals ( equal to the circumference of the drum)!

Supplier said, bin it, we will send you another. Trouble is that has the same problem but worse!

If I put my original magenta back in I get a totally clean print although the magenta is clearly getting a bit weak.

Have I just been very unlucky or are old stock cartridges prone to doing this?