Crisis Averted - THANK YOU 3D Pen - To The Rescue!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I was changing filament colors when I rammed my hand into my hot-end.

I heard a SNAP!

... and the fan shroud I printed on my Monoprice Mini for, and in anticipation of getting my CR-10, was dangling :(

I sat there: "Um... my printer is broken. I can fix it with a 3D printed replacement shroud, but I need my printer working to do that. UGH!

I found the bit that broke... a tiny thin printed plate that had barely anything holding it in place. I'm honestly surprised it didn't break sooner.

I attempted to use a tiny lighter and some extra filament to weld it together, but no luck.

THEN the idea!!!

I pulled out my 3D pen... the one I haven't touched in like 3 years. I loaded it up with some PLA filament and got to "drawing" (welding) the broken pieces together.

It's not pretty, but it worked.

Unfortunately in my impatience I didn't take a picture of the weld-job, but here's the fan and everything back together:

Oh... you can KINDA see through the fan where I welded it all globby like:

1632887554628.png

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Nice one Nifty, it was great you were able to fix the problem and get back into production again, the 3D world is certainly a great place to be at, But did you never consider putting out a call here for someone to make you a replacement part and post it back to you. ?

It was really smashing you were able to sort it yourself, (Good thinking) I know it felt dreadful when I couldn’t print, but if we can’t rely on the good guys here to help, what’s the Feckin point in this 3D forum, we learn, we trust, and we help whenever we can..

I’m not uncomfortable accepting a hand out when I’m in too deep and need help, and with so many here willing to come to my assistance, they have not failed me yet, it only costs the price of P&P, and what’s that amongst friends..

A great Pic of the troubled spot and the fan covers up the mess nicely, no one would ever know.. :thumbsup
P.S. I have a few spares after I upgraded the hot end on two of my printers..

Untitled-4.jpg

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
But did you never consider putting out a call here for someone to make you a replacement part and post it back to you. ?
Yup, that was one of my first thoughts, but knew it would take at least a few days to coordinate and then to ship. This was a quick fix that got me back printing ASAP! :)

P.S. I have a few spares after I upgraded the hot end on two of my printers..

Untitled-4.jpg
Wow, nice fan-duct! Which one is it? Can you link me to it?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Attachments

• v2E5.Duct.12mmABL_2.23.stl
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
  • OEM_Fang.stl
    4.8 MB · Views: 236

Nifty