Converting ICC V4 profiles to V2 profiles using ColorMunki Photo

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
When I started using a ColorMunki Photo profiler, I failed to noticed the setting under (File - Preferences) which selected Version 4 ICC printer profiles as opposed to the alternative, older Version 2.

It wasn't until half a dozen or so profiles had been created and optimised many times with additional images to include many extra colour shades, that I discovered the incompatibility with some software. I tried to compare the visual images of profiles in WinColor.exe. V4 profiles were incompatible.

It wasn't the end of the world, but rather irritating. To have to go through all that profiling and optimisation again didn't appeal.

I searched the Web but could only find a suggestion for X-rite's higher grade software (not ColorMunki Photo), which suggested using saved V4 measurement data to generate a new V2 profile. Saved measurement data is not an immediately available option with ColorMunki Photo software.

However the measurement data must be saved, because you use it, each time you optimise an existing profile with additional images.

So I tried loading an existing version 4 profile and selected the additional image optimisation option. I then selected File - Preferences and V2 under Printer Profiles, this was accepted.

I loaded a new optimisation image and printed the new sheet of patches. I measured the patches and created the new optimised V2 profile. I saved this under a different file name.

This profile is accepted by WinColor.exe and does produce a visual display as a V2 profile.

This relatively simple process appears to allow conversion from V4 to V2 using the existing measurement data, but it is yet to be proved that all the previous profile measurement data is incorporated in the new V2 profile.

It certainly seems to be, the V4 profile size is 2381KB and the new V2 profile size is 2416KB, the increased size should represent the additional data from the new optimisation image.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
That's interesting so should we just make all our profiles under the V2 version?

borichka

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think it depends on the applications you are using. For example, Canon Print Studio Pro doesn't "see" v4 ICC profiles, so I always generate v2 profiles with Colormunki.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
All the checks I have made on the converted profile, examining it in ICC Profile Inspector etc., indicate it is a good V2 working profile.

I think that you could use a similar procedure to convert a ColorMunki version 2 into a version 4.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Rod

In answer to your question, I printed the file PrinterEvaluationImage_V002_ProPhoto.tif in A5 on the Satin Pearl paper using the converted Version 2 and the original Version 4 optimised profiles for the paper and I cannot detect a difference between them.

I was using PS so the software has the appropriate ProPhotoRGB image space.

So I guess, in view of the other software compatibility problems, it is sensible to create in ICC Version 2.

I wonder if anyone has in practice, yet found a situation in which Version 4 is essential?

Regards Emu

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Emulator said:
I wonder if anyone has in practice, yet found a situation in which Version 4 is essential?
This doesn't directly answer your question, but it gives some good reading material on the subject (be sure to look at the links) - not for the casual user:
http://www.color.org/whyusev4.xalter

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Grandad35

You can always expect something interesting when "Grandad35" makes an input!!

Yes, ICC ver 2 versus ICC ver 4, they talk of little else over here in the UK.:D

I had ploughed through that lot some time ago, but I think you would probably be equipped to have written it, if you can appreciate reading it.

Following up the issues of "whether your system is equipped to view v2 & v4", mine is for pdf but not browser, I'm still using IE8 by choice, I came across this:-

http://insig.ht/2009/11/why-photos-look-bad-in-firefox-3-5/

So the question is: Has anyone found any practical benefit from v4?

Regards

Ian

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Emulator said:
Hi Grandad35

You can always expect something interesting when "Grandad35" makes an input!!

Yes, ICC ver 2 versus ICC ver 4, they talk of little else over here in the UK.

I had plowed through that lot some time ago, but I think you would probably be equipped to have written it, if you can appreciate reading it.

Following up the issues of "whether your system is equipped to view v2 & v4", mine is for pdf but not browser, I'm still using IE8 by choice, I came across this:-

http://insig.ht/2009/11/why-photos-look-bad-in-firefox-3-5/

So the question is: Has anyone found any practical benefit from v4?

Regards

Ian
Hi Guys,

I may be missing something here (Not unusual)

The following link from Grandad35's post specifies practical benefits for V4. Unless there is a published refutation!

http://www.color.org/advantagesv4.pdf

Roy

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Yes the last paragraph says it all.

"They can achieve this either by evaluating the various profile building software packages available and selecting that which produces the best results for them, or by editing profiles to produce what they require. But because of the improved consistency, once a profile has been selected its performance in use should be highly predictable."