Conventional photo prints are dye based

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
This patent discusses how conventional color prints use dyes to generate the colors, and how they are sensitive to UV degradation. This explains why color prints fade over time while conventional B&W prints do not have the same problem (B&W prints use the silver in the silver halides to form the image).
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5731136.html

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
granddad just a thought on traditional photo paper vs ink jet
photo paper has all three dyes embedded in it not to mention the silver in it that the dyes are attched to and coated with plastic on the back their is enough dye to completely cover the print in any colour or all 3 colours I,m currently paying about 10c Australian per 6x4 print which includes all this dye and a superior paper ,so where do the ink dye and paper costs for inkjet come from and who's making all the money there, their is definitely the room to cut inkjet prices by more than half if manufacturers were "fair dinkum" (aussie slang for serious) about giving consumers a fair go.

kenban

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You know I have always thought the biggest problem with inkjet printers today is the business model used. They sell the printers at a loss and expect to make the money back by selling you overpriced ink and paper. One thing I have been wondering for a while but have no idea how to find out is how much do the printers really cost to make and how much would they need to be sold for to make a profit for the company.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
RE Printer costs: I've often wondered about the "actual cost" of the printers, but this gets tricky when you figure in the costs of R&D, overhead, marketing, ads, etc. It would be great to be a fly on the wall in a meeting at Canon, HP, Epson and hear their strategy. I'd be curious to know for sure if they are really selling these at a loss or not.