Confused

Trey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100
I purchased a Pixma Pro 100 and updated the firmware to the latest. Does this mean that I can't refill OEM cartridges when the new ones are empty? If so Is there a way to revert back to the original firmware.

Thanks for any information,
Trey

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Trey and welcome, Most guys if not all, would never consider upgrading the firmware on their printer just for the sake of it, it’s usually only benefits Canon and not the user.

The answer is no you can’t revert, ever, Canon are not that kind to their customers, you must remember the printer maybe your, but Canon still own the operating system that runs and controls it, so please stay away from upgrades.

You need not worry about refilling, once you have a resetter then all your cartridges will look like new when you reset and refill them once again, the printer will be unaware of this, so long as you’re not using Canon photo editing software...

Trey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100
Thank you and you have made my day. I ordered the delux ink set from precision colors that includes a resetter. I will certainly accept and take your valuable advise.

Again, thank you and I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
@Trey: you can refill without flushing the OEM inks (except yellow; see below), unless you are very concerned about exact color matching. On the one hand, PC inks are very close, especially for non-photo graphics. On the other hand, if mixed, the new inks take more than one refill to become evenly dominant; to the discerning eye, solid areas may show slightly differing hue patterns for a while.

However, DO recognize that in any case you should NOT mix yellow PC ink with yellow OEM ink; you need to first flush with Windex, then water and then dry the cart, or else you will have the "gel" problem. I did. I know, I know, I should have watched Jose's youtubes more dilligently :)

@The Hat: could you expand on "...so long as you’re not using Canon photo editing software..."; are there demons lurking there?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@The Hat: could you expand on "...so long as you’re not using Canon photo editing software..."; are there demons lurking there?
No, there are no Canon demons lurking, but there is one Canon photo software that will not allow you to use it if your refill your start up cartridges that came with your printer.

If you have purchased a new set of cartridges from a retail store, then no restrictions are applied, because the first set of cartridges are clearly marked Set-up, and so are the chips, and the Friggin print driver reflect that, big brother is watching...:eek:

P.S. I can’t recall the name of the Canon photo software, nor anyone using it... ;)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Image Garden

Now if you delve back a few years ago, you'll see the same thing with reset CLI-8 carts and the Pro9000 with the same restrictions when the chip is reset.

Trey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100
Hope all had a good Labor day. What a great gang of folks and a great forum. The information you've provided is greatly appreciated. If I understand correctly, the startup cartridges can't be reset so I will need to dispose them when empty.

Thanks to all,
Trey

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I have been resetting ALL my CLI-42 setup carts! Not a problem. Who cares about Image Garden anyway!
What you should not do is to initiate a printer with non Setup carts or worse Compatible or Refillable carts.
Joe

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
Hi @Trey and welcome, Most guys if not all, would never consider upgrading the firmware on their printer just for the sake of it, it’s usually only benefits Canon and not the user.

The answer is no you can’t revert, ever, Canon are not that kind to their customers, you must remember the printer maybe your, but Canon still own the operating system that runs and controls it, so please stay away from upgrades.

You need not worry about refilling, once you have a resetter then all your cartridges will look like new when you reset and refill them once again, the printer will be unaware of this, so long as you’re not using Canon photo editing software...
OMG, I'm glad I read this important advice. I haven't had the urge to update the firmware, but I could've. And I'll avoid that Canon software.
Thank you @The Hat

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
No, there are no Canon demons lurking, but there is one Canon photo software that will not allow you to use it if your refill your start up cartridges that came with your printer.

If you have purchased a new set of cartridges from a retail store, then no restrictions are applied, because the first set of cartridges are clearly marked Set-up, and so are the chips, and the Friggin print driver reflect that, big brother is watching...:eek:

P.S. I can’t recall the name of the Canon photo software, nor anyone using it... ;)
I plan on topping off the original setup cartridges that came with the printer and resetting the chips. Will I run into problems?