[Comment] Canon printers - refill/CIS capable

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
With the [Research] Canon printers - refill/CIS capable thread specifically for reporting hard data I thought I'd best pop this thread on for inevitable comments about all of this.

As I said on the original thread before it was locked (as per my request) I'd normally take the rumour with a pinch of salt but when it comes from a company like MIS (www.inksupply.com) you have to pay attention as they've stopped supporting the iP4300 CIS's are a result.

From what we're seeing so far though I'm starting to wonder if there is indeed a wider problem or a series of false positives.

Either way, the only way to debunk a rumour or theory is to get some physical experience together which is why I started the research thread in the first place.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
The ip4300 at my work place has been refilled since the summer last year. All 5 cartridges have no level status. All 5 boxes show empty. The printer is used daily. It has been constantly refilled since it was new. I can say that there is no problem refiling this one. But this one is really an old one from last year. It may not be the same as newer ones, which I do not know.

Is this how we give you input for you to add into the research thread? Thanks, websnail. Totally agree how you are doing it with a Research Thread now.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Tin Ho said:
The ip4300 at my work place has been refilled since the summer last year. All 5 cartridges have no level status. All 5 boxes show empty. The printer is used daily. It has been constantly refilled since it was new. I can say that there is no problem refiling this one. But this one is really an old one from last year. It may not be the same as newer ones, which I do not know.

Is this how we give you input for you to add into the research thread?
This will work fine... I'll collate the results and link back to each report wherever it is..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've requested clarification of the error/problems that MIS associates had with the iP4300 and see what led them to the conclusion they had.

Time will tell..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The new printers have arrived so I'll be playing with them at some point in the next week or so...

Have to say that the MX700 is pretty small, almost on a par with the MP500 so it'll be interesting to see how they've managed to fit so much more into these models (it has a printserver built in which is a first!).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well after clearing some space, oh and not to mention one of our cats causing a major panic thanks to playing in traffic (he's on the mend now!) I've managed to get the MX700 setup and even installed a CIS in it.

Setup was a CIS with 2 cartridges already "empty", 1 nearly so, and another full...
It gave the standard "cannot check ink levels" in the empty ones but accepted the usual 5second cancel/reset key hold and then initialised perfectly.

I'll see what happens when it finally reads empty on all of the cartridges but given that this is a brand spanking new system from Canon I'm seriously having some doubts as to whether the rumour that started all this is not in fact down to someone getting a fluke issue or more likely screaming blue murder that they did everything right and it's the CIS/printers fault when the real problem was more likely between the keyboard and the chair... ;)

Anyways, we'll keep this going until we have a more definitive answer... Somehow I think we've already answered the question though.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Canon ip1600, ip6600D ip6700D all work fine Please add them to the list