Color Banding(?) problem with Canon IP4200

bfeist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm running into the problem shown in uploads at 8285_cci07052011_00000.png with my IP4200. Since I'm a new user here, the system won't let me post the link inline; this is the best I can do. Basically, there are bands about the height of a line of text in what should be solid-colored areas. It's most visible in orange, red, and purple regions, but I can see a bit of it in yellow at times, and also in black. Green and blue seem unaffected.

It's using mostly new cartridges (yellow is almost due to be replaced); I believe they're original Canon cartridges, although I've occasionally used OEM in the past. I haven't refilled any of them. Nozzle check printouts look normal.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Bruce

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I tried searching for your upload in the uploads section, but I am only able to view my own uploads. You could search Google for a free image hosting service, and upload your pictures there. Please also include the nozzle check printout.

Your description of problems with orange, red and purple suggests a problem with magenta. The banding about the height of a line of text suggests something like this: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6747 but with problem in magenta instead of cyan. But you say nozzle check looks normal, so I am out of ideas without pictures.

Peter.

bfeist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, PeterBJ. I can now post images; huzzah! Here's the picture of what I'm experiencing.
8285_cci07052011_00000.png

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Can you force a "Service Test Print" from the printer and post that? It's typically different from a nozzle test print and provides more information.

Anyone here know how for force a Service Test Print from an IP4200??

Wayne

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Also post a "High Quality Print" and a "Low Quality" (draft) Print. Looks like you had posted one that was printed bi-directionally (low quality, draft). Do you see a difference in the two??

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
turbguy said:
Anyone here know how for force a Service Test Print from an IP4200??

Wayne
Usually that can be achieved by entering service mode and using a service software like iptool. Or by using a button sequence on the printer. According to the manual you enter service mode and press Cancel 1 time.

<Service mode operation procedures>
1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button.
(DO NOT release the buttons. The Power LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.)
2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release both the Power and
Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light
alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
4) When the Power LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time(s) according to the function listed in the table below. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and
Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
At least post a nozzle check.

It looks to me like you're going to find that PeterBJ hit the nail right on the head with this one in that one half of one of the magentas is not working and you'll probably have to get a new print head.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A service manual for the Pixma 4200 is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/21311563/Canon-iP4200-Service-Manual . For service mode operations and how to read the info in the service test printout see page 1-22 to 1-28.

A parts catalog is here: http://www.arbikas.com/view/locator/PIXMA_IP4200pc.pdf . The drawings provide additional info on disassembling the printer. It also gives the Canon parts number of the printhead, which is QY6-0059-000.

I think this printer with its transparent, easy to refill PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges is worth to repair if you can find a new printhead for a reasonable price. Good luck in finding one.
Peter.

Edit: Service Mode operations can be a bit complicated, at least they are to me :) so I really have to concentrate on the instructions and maybe try out the procedure with the printer not connected to the mains. Doing something wrong in service mode might change settings you don't want changed.

Before trying service mode operations please post a regular nozzle check printout.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Happened to me too, with yellow in Pixma 4500, about a year from purchase.
It was an electric failure in printhead.

bfeist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, folks. Anyway, the printer has now completely stopped working; it just flashes its error lights. I'm going to bring it in for professional repairs. It may seem economically foolish to do so, but I'm not aware of any current low-priced printers that can print on 3x5 index cards, which I do a lot of. And, it did a very good job for a fairly long time.