Clogged print heads or cartridges issues?

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
My printer is a Pixma IX6850 and, from about 3 month, I use for it the refillable cartridges and inks from Octoink (http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/PGI550-%2b-CLI551-Refill-Kit-Bundle-[5-x-125ml].html), that are fairly good (though the pigment black needs a print head cleaning if not used for 3-4 days).
But today, after I left the printer turned off for two weeks (during my vacation), I couldn't make it to work properly, whatever I tried.

The signs of troubles appeared from the first print (please see the first attached image), as the yellow/black logo on a business paper was printed without a wide band of yellow and, strangely, with a magenta trace instead.

Then I began (using the printer software) to clean (2 times) and to "deep clean" (several times) the printheads, but the results of the test prints were increasingly worse - as you can see, from left to right, in the second attached image - until the complete lack of yellow and magenta.

I don't know where the problem is - are the printheads clogged, or the refillable cartridges became unable to ensure the flow (because they dried or have issues with the air circulation)?

Could you help me with any advice of where to check and how to fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpg
    IMG_6801.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_6799.jpg
    IMG_6799.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 561

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The magenta stains on the print are strange, I never had this.

Do you have a second set of cartridges (3th party can work also) you can flush and refill ?
Replacing the M and Y doesn't harm, but do not more than 2 cleanings.
Let the printer rest during the night.

If there is no progress you must remove the printhead and let it soak a night in a few mm's of demineralized water with a few drops of ammonia (some prefer manual dish washing liquid as Dreft or Fairy).
Let dry the printhead before replacing.
(you can also do this step right away because there is a big chance it is the head)

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
Thank you, @palombian!
Unfortunately, I haven't other cartridges, this is my only set.
But I would empty them without regrets, if I were sure that this could solve my problem...

As about the printheads, I'm not sure if (and how) they are removable, at my model. I'm searching a tutorial on internet just now.

L.E. Well, I think I found something: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=2804
I'll verify tomorrow if my printhead can be removed this way.
Is it anything wrong with flushing the printhead as shown in this video?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you look carefully at the yellow stripe in the first nozzle check you see a white wedge. This could be caused by ink starvation, so I suggest to test the ink flow from the cartridges. It looks like the pigment and dye black and cyan cartridges still work, so I suggest to take for instance the cyan cartridge and hold it over a sink and blow gently into the vent to expel a drop of ink. This should not take very much effort. Now repeat the test with the magenta and yellow cartridge. If it is harder or impossible to expel a drop of ink, the cartridges are clogged and might benefit from flushing and drying. If the cartridges easily give off a drop of ink, the print head is clogged and might be saved by cleaning.

It is a pity you didn't keep the original setup cartridges and their orange clips. They would be perfect for test purposes. You could refill them partly by dripping a few ml of ink into the ink outlets. To print with these cartridges that have been declared empty by the printer, you can disable ink monitoring.

If you can find some reasonably priced compatible cartridges I suggest to buy a magenta and yellow cartridge for test purposes.

I think the print head is removable, see this post by mikling. I have an MG5550 that is also of the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation, and the procedure works also for my printer.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@floK, All the advice you’re getting so far is very good, and I can only add that you should not print any more test sheets till you can get a proper nozzle check, because that is acceptable and won’t cause any damage to your print head...

floK

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IX6850
Oh, thank you all, you gave me some valuable tips and I'm more reassured now.
Tomorrow morning I will try to follow your indications and, of course, I'll write here what happened.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Please take a look at this video I made. There are two telling signs.....the wedge pattern on the yellow nozzle check.
The second is the complete disappearance of the magenta.
I'll bet once you perform the mods from the video, your problem will be resolved. Removal and replacement of the fill plug will also temporarily cure it as well. Once you perform the mod, the fix will be a lot longer lasting. Even for the cartridges working, I'll recommend doing the mod and do not be afraid. Be more afraid of removing the printhead, it is easier to remove than replace.
One thing about the refillables is the lack of the serpentine air system and its multiple damper cavities. Remember these are there to prevent.... no minimize actually the sponge from drying out. On the aftermarket refillables, do not allow the printer to remain inoperative for long periods when the carts are near empty of ink. This can cause real head clogging. There is no immediate need to remove the printhead from these machines.
The video is here:
https://youtu.be/tG7JkC1nbQ4

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@floK, Just another taught, and I know it’s a silly question to ask, but did you remember to remove the clips over the sponge area of the carts, before installing them in the printer...

Untitled-1.jpg
Illustration purposes only..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Thank you, @palombian!
Unfortunately, I haven't other cartridges, this is my only set.
But I would empty them without regrets, if I were sure that this could solve my problem...

As about the printheads, I'm not sure if (and how) they are removable, at my model. I'm searching a tutorial on internet just now.

L.E. Well, I think I found something: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=2804
I'll verify tomorrow if my printhead can be removed this way.
Is it anything wrong with flushing the printhead as shown in this video?

Sorry for misguiding you on the printhead (since I have the IX6550, a previous type where you can refill the Canon carts (525/526), I seldom have ink feed problems).

As @mikling explains, your printer has been delivered with the printhead installed, Canon does not consider it user replacable anymore I suppose.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
CRC Tasktron UK has a spare print head QY6-0086, so the print head is user replaceable. The removal and installing of a print head in this generation of printers is more fiddly than in older printers, but not impossible. The procedure from mikling here also works with my MG5550.