cli-8 screw hole plugs

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just go another printer that has the same carts as my older printer. I have a refill kit but only enough plugs for the first set. So what can I use that could be found at a hardware store to plug the new carts after filling..
Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you refill using the German method, you can just use a piece of tape or many people don't bother to plug the hole.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
See my post at http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5902. There are several links that should provide you with numerous items, good and bad, to plug the hole.

Others have done the work for you and I so that we can do the job right the first time, everytime. :)

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I use a #6-32 3/8" Stainless Steel Flathead machine screw to seal the hole in Canon CLI-8 cartridges. Although I haven't found the 3/8" length in Home Depot or Lowes, they can be gotten from E-Bay or Amazon for about $10 with shipping (or less) for 100 - a lifetime supply. BTW I am a top hole refiller who switched to the German method and very soon went back to the top fill method.

Steve W.

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
why did you go back ?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
dwolf said:
why did you go back ?
I felt that I wasn't getting any better results with the German method - wasn't any faster or less messy for me. Since I much prefer using squeeze bottles rather than syringes for filling, I seemed to be getting more bubbles in the ink chamber that was causing me problems. It is said that top filling causes overfilling and some associated problems - I haven't had any problems. Also felt that continually punching through the foam with a needle would eventually damage the cartridge. Since I always removed the small plastic ball on the top to allow for easy flushing, the top fill method was logical for me. I was a late changer to the German method - when I did I just didn't see the great advantages that many tout. BTW the OCP inks I recently changed to seem to produce much fewer air bubbles than either Hobbicolor or IS inks when refilling so maybe my main complaint on the German method wouldn't hold with OCP inks. But I have no present plans on going back to see.

Steve W.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
on30trainman said:
BTW the OCP inks I recently changed to seem to produce much fewer air bubbles than either Hobbicolor or IS inks...
How do you like the OCP pigment black ink? Is it dark enough for you? Have you noticed any difference in blackness compared to the other two that you have used?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Dwolf
You could always use the original ball plug again and some blue tac to hold it in..