Cleaning in General. Clogged Print Heads!

Troubadour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am setting up a small refilling business and the largest obstacle I have encountered so far is cleaning clogged print heads.

I intend to achieve a couple of hundred refills per week by the end of my first year. With this in mind can somebody please advise as to the most economical and time efficient way to ensure print heads are unclogged and the cartridge is empty prior to re-filling.

Both time and money are precious so both these considerations need to be weighed up before I progress further.

I am considering Centrifuge machinery but other ideas and advice are definitely welcome.

Regards, Andy

Wondering_Mike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dear Troubadour, I see you are new to this forum, welcome!

I don't think it is fair the repost your same question under different topic names. It tends to clog the forum. :/

To answer your question: I read you intend to do a couple of hundred refills a week?

would it not better/easier to get a CISS?
(or laser printer?)

In general if you keep using the same formulation ink than there shouldn't be a problem, futhermore with the intensity, with which you are going to print, the ink will not have any time to clog.

And maybe you should (i dont know what type or brand of printer you are going to use) but make an cleaning cartridge.

Personally using a centrifuge would be dangerous concidering the forces used in a centrifuge. :/
The best way to clean is using a cleaning solution (search this forum for recipe) and to take your time.
Some things can't be rushed! :D

FLMK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There's misunderstood...

I think that he wanted to say that he refills ink cartridges for people, not for himself...

So, using a CISS will not resolve the problem.

:)

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Troubadour said:
I am setting up a small refilling business and the largest obstacle I have encountered so far is cleaning clogged print heads.
I'm more or less ignorant about HP printers, but I think most cartridges with an integrated print-head are HP.

My observation is that the majority of posts on this forum are concerned with Canon devices, with Epson less prevalent. There aren't that many posts related to HP printers. This forum is oriented to d.i.y., although there is a sub-forum for commercial refillers.

The general impression I get from reading posts on this forum is that HP cartridges with integrated print-heads are marginal as far as being worth refilling. YMMV.

I think there are some low-end Canon printers with multiple colors in one cartridge, which may also have an integrated print-head. In the Canon universe, the printers based on non-chipped BCI-6 and chipped CLI-8 carts are the best candidates for refilling. Dye is less difficult to refill than pigment.

If it is an option, I would start your business by not dealing with cartridges that had integrated print-heads. That may be too limiting, however.

Something to consider ... work for a mom-and-pop refilling store-front for a year or so to learn the business. Then perhaps "put out your own shingle".