Cleaning cartridge

FLMK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I want to refill an empty Canon cartridge with isopropyl alcohol and use it to clean my print head (using the cleaning process in the printing driver).

But I have one question: Is it safe to do this?

I mean the printhead is heating the isopropyl alcohol during the print...

Won't it start a fire?

Thanks.

Bye.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That’s a very bad idea, :hit question: what’s wrong with your print head that you feel you need to take such drastic action.

Post a nozzle check here and it can reveal all...:hu

FLMK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yesterday, I had to clean my print head because it was clogged with dried ink.

I had to make it soak in isopropyl alcohol and use a seringe with a special tip to unclog it.

It makes a mess by doing this, so I wanted to use a cleaner method.

As I have spare empty cartridges, I wanted to do so.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The inks are water based and concentrated isopropyl alcohol acts as a desiccant possibly making the clogging worse. Cleaning solutions containing isopropyl alcohol have maybe 20% alcohol, rest other chemicals and pure water.

Cleaning cartridges might not be the best method for cleaning clogged cartridges as the nozzle heaters need a steady supply of ink to cool them to prevent burning out the heaters. Clogged nozzles are not cooled so they risk burning out when printing purge pages. It is recommended that only nozzle checks are printed until the clogged nozzles are cleared.

Here is a successful cleaning of a print head using @pharmacist 's cleaning solution.

Original Windex or other window cleaner with ammonia is also a good print head cleaner.
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/cleaning-solution-the-ultimate-test.5296/

FLMK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I used pure isopropyl alcohol (99.99%) for the soaking and it worked great after a deep clean with my ink cartridges (to eliminate the alcohol in the print head).

Isopropyl alcohol is used in print industry to clean print head, so, I used it pure and I didn't notice any problem. Maybe I had luck.

The formula of Pharmacist is too complicated for me.

I don't know where I can buy amonia or glycerol...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the isopropyl alcohol worked, then congratulations with saving the print head, I think you were lucky. I think that in the industry inkjet inks are not water based but solvent based.

If you don't want to mix chemicals, then a Window cleaner with Ammonia like the Original Windex is recommended if you are located in the US, for European alternatives see this thread. The window cleaners are used "as is" meaning they are not diluted before use.

FLMK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I don't live in USA, nor Europe...

But where I live, we have M. propre (Mr Clean?).

What should I look for in the formula?

Isopropyl alcohol, amonia, and distilled water?

Thanks.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
An alternative solution to soak print heads in is water and liquid dish washing liquid such as Dawn or Fairy. Note that these are NOT for a dishwasher but good old fashion soap for use at the sink.

FLMK

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok.

I'll remember for the next time

Thanks.