City Ink Express Can not get ink into cartridges

crosby37

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hope someone can help me to get this `thing` working. I have a Canon MG 6150(recently bought) and decided to get a City ink express continuous ink. To start with I could not understand the manual. Did not tell me to fill the cartridges so that was a messy job when I had to fill them in position. I assumed that the ink would be drawn up from the Ciss sitting next to the printer. OK so I got it working but now for some reason the ink is not getting to the cartridges.The ink is nearly up to the cartidges in the tubes and when I pick up the Ciss a few inches the ink flows towards the cartridges but when I put the Ciss back the ink flows back again. I have recently topped up the bottles with ink . Many thanks for any help.
Can I get a better manual from anywhere to replace the manual supplied? Did not understand half of it! ( Make that three quarters) Well I am nearly 90!

crosby37

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes thank you. The video was a great help when I first found it. Just looked at it again. Unfortunatly it dosnt help me with my problem.
If its going to give me problems like this I might go back to refilling cartridges although the main reson for the `continuous` was because I got ink all over the place filling Canon cartridges. Been refilling my HPs for years without any mess.
Thanks once again

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Ok. I'm not into CIS-es so maybe this doesn't make sense. Don't you somehow have to prime the cartridges to get things going? Kinda like if you want to drain the gas tank of your car with a hose. Suck it through and then it will keep flowing...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
crosby37 said:
Hope someone can help me to get this `thing` working. I have a Canon MG 6150(recently bought) and decided to get a City ink express continuous ink. To start with I could not understand the manual. Did not tell me to fill the cartridges so that was a messy job when I had to fill them in position. I assumed that the ink would be drawn up from the Ciss sitting next to the printer. OK so I got it working but now for some reason the ink is not getting to the cartridges.The ink is nearly up to the cartidges in the tubes and when I pick up the Ciss a few inches the ink flows towards the cartridges but when I put the Ciss back the ink flows back again. I have recently topped up the bottles with ink . Many thanks for any help.
Can I get a better manual from anywhere to replace the manual supplied? Did not understand half of it! ( Make that three quarters) Well I am nearly 90!
Hi and welcome crosby37, this is a bit long winded but however.
First off I wouldnt have recommended a CISS for the MG6150 but as you now have it lets see if we can get it working for you again.

Try closing off the ink flow from the bottles by clamping the tubing with the roller provided and close the front lid of your printer.
Have some newspaper ready in front of your printer to catch any spillages.

If you have a pair of Latex gloves I would wear them if you dont mind coloured hands for a while.
Open the lid and bring the print head to the centre of your printer and remove the power plug.

You may have to release the tubing from where you have stuck it to the top lid, so do that before going any further.
Remove all the cartridges from the printer together and place them upside down on your newspaper.

It would be a good idea to check and make sure that all of the silicone washers are still in place
in your print head as per the instructions before refitting the cartridges, to be sure to be sure.

Now release the roller clamp from the tubing and remove all the little air filters on top of the bottles.
Take a syringe without the needle and pull back on the plunger half way then place it into one of the hole exited by the air filters.

Start with one of the cartridges you can see clearly (say yellow) then pressing the plunger down very gently
and slowly youll see the ink flowing into the yellow cartridge via the tubing.

Stop when the cartridge is almost full dont wait for the ink to spill out, nearly full will do (say 75%)
NOW jiggle the syringe from side to side and slowly remove it, don't just pull it off, coloured face syndrome will apply.

Do that with each cartridge in turn till all six are full, then clamp the tubing and replace all of the air filters once again.
Clean any excess ink that may have come out of the cartridge outlet, then turn the cartridges over and place them back into the print head.

Realign any of the tubing that you have moved and stick it down properly again then close the top lid.
I would point out that its better to have the top lid open about three inches while printing any photos you'll get much better quality that way.

Release the roller clamp from the tubing again and open the front paper tray then plug in the power lead now youre ready to print again.
Please remember to print something regularly using all of the colours and you wont have to do this exercise again.
Happy printing..:)

crosby37

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies.
Sounds a bit daunting The Hat but as you say I should not have to do it again which I was a bit worried about.
By the sound of it I will have to set aside some time to complete your suggestion which of course I will attempt.
Thanks for giving so much of your time with such a detailed reply.
Will let you both know how I get on.

crosby37

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Pleased to be able to tell you that I have the printer working again Did as you told me and Im off and running .
Thank you once again