CISS systems for Pigment inks in Epson 1400

Don Morrier

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1400, 4530, 3540
Any experience out there with CISS systems used with pigment inks on an Epson 1400?
I currently have a system on there now (running flawlessly for years) with dye inks and
was thinking of switching to pigment inks. I am a little leery of using the same system
for different types of ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The simple answer is don’t; get a different CISS unit for Pigment inks, your current (Marrutt system) only works with dye inks.. :(

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, that's the only practical solution, otherwise you would have to purge the tanks, tubes and cartridges everytime you plan to switch the ink type. I'm using different CISS systems with R265's with dye, pigment (2 types) , and sublim inks, and it's easy to swap as needed.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
What about the possible pigment sediment and the ink outlet at the bottom of most ciss? Some users therefore recommend a "dip-ciss"...

I am using no ciss, only refill cartridges, and my question is referring to the same problem of deposit:

There are two sorts of refill cartridges:
- the older type where the last ink chamber before the outlet is positioned in the middle. To fill this important chamber the cart should be primed at the first time
- the newer type where the last ink chamber is on the bottom. These don't need to be primed.
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/which-refillable-cartridges-for-epson.4942/

While I am now using mostly the second type (no need to prime) it might be a better choice to use the first type with pigment:
- because the last chamber is not on the bottom of the cart the problem of deposits may be smaller...

What do you think about this idea?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm using pigment inks in several R265 units for a long time, but never had a problem with sediments. But if you want to be more cautious you can tilt the ink container assy somewhat to the front, and the sediment would not settle directly on the ink tubes connected to the bottom but in the edge at the front.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I'm using pigment inks in several R265 units for a long time, but never had a problem with sediments....

With a matte black cartridge I had missing black nozzles on the first prints after only one week idle time.
Not with photo black and the other colors. But for matte black I would take special care.
- if using a ciss something like tilting as you said, or better a dip-ciss.
- if using refill cartridge next time I will try the "old school" type of refillble cart, at least for matte black, because this sort of pigment is definitely more prone to build a deposit than the other pigment colors.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
wether it's a deposit or something closer to the nozzles - I'm not so sure. Any deposit would need some time to move from the ink tank through the tube through the cartridge and the filter in the cartridge to the nozzles. It could be that something happens in the cleaning unit with the ink smear there , the printhead is supposed to rest on the cleaning unit,those foam sponges there. O.k., I don't know, I'm not using matt pigment inks. And it could be that an ink from another supplier performs differently.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
My concern was mostly on cartridges (was a bit mixing in here) and those are sitting right on the printhead. So any deposit of idle time would be very close to the head.
I had matte and photo black diluted in a glass and the matte builded a deposit after a few days, while photo black (and all other pigment colors) was uniformly dispersed still after a week.

Latest posts