Chromogenic light amplifier

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm a kind of puzzled about some property of the Canon Pro Platinum inkjet paper, it is highly rewarded in this article

https://www.photoworkout.com/best-inkjet-photo-paper/

I stumbled over it accidentally, when you scroll down to the description for this paper you find a statement like this:

'On top of it, a chromogenic enhancer has been added which amplifies light.' I'm not really sure what this is, googling for a chromogenic light amplifier gets me here

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearc...b&pl=ext-ff&language=deutsch&extVersion=1.3.0

directly into the region of biochemistry, I'm not sure how that relates to the Canon inkjet paper

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I tend to agree with @The Hat.
Chromogenic light amplifier .. alluding possibly to the fact that this paper carries a significant amount of OBAs, which enhance the apparent 'whiteness' of the whites' by shifting UV light into the visible region of the spectrum.
Oh dear, I'm entering too into the realms of Cowshiteland..,:p

My only contact with Canon Platinum were the sample sheets which came with my Pro10s. Nice glossy surface, shinny and 'luminous', thanks mainly to the use of those optical brighteners. Not so different in this regard from the super cheap glossy papers sold in some supermarkets.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I first thought along some space technology - e.g a laser sword without a battery which just uses ambient light and amplifies it - or a print on this Canon paper which is that bright - by amplifying ambient light - that it can replace a display , but that is probably future tech. I concur with @Artur5 that the author may just talk about OBA's, and there are plenty in the Canon paper, but as well in lots of other papers, it is not discriminating feature compared to other papers.

It’s probably in the realms of Cowshite.. by @The Hat

I'm afraid that this would leave some stains on the paper..................

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Seems to be Canon's fancy (and maybe OldTyme) way of saying OBA.

Article on Fluorescent Brightening Agents (OBA's in paper)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38438-x

Don't have the link anymore but depending on the OBA/FBA used you can shift the effect to another part of the visible spectrum, such as yellow, that is amplified.

The OldTyme referral may be to pre-digital chromogenic photography. :idunno

Another guess is that "chromogenic enhanced" also fits Canon's lexicon - Chromalife 100 and Chroma Optimizer. It also sounds more refined/techno-geek than laundry detergents with "brighteners" to make your whites look whiter.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Don't have the link anymore but depending on the OBA/FBA used you can shift the effect to another part of the visible spectrum, such as yellow, that is amplified.
Yes, you can get dye fluorescent inks with every color - which convert the UV light into blue or yellow or red or ........e.g. for posters and images only visible under black light - as a visible or an invisible version

https://www.druckerpatronentankstel.../ULTRA_PREMIUM_TINTE/UV_FLUORESZIERENDE_TINTE

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I remember a Canon printer which was pretreating the paper before print with some conditioner.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I remember a Canon printer which was pretreating the paper before print with some conditioner.
The Canon iX7000 used a watery Optimiser to thread paper before it printed onto plain paper, the paper path went through a bath of this stuff and out the other side, it was supposed to make the colours brighter, I was Fecked if I could tell the difference..
The paper came out limp and damp that was all…