Caught out on Colour matching..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Now that I have changed the whole of the inside my computer, things are starting to get back to normal again, I reckoned it’s time to look at sorting out my printers collectively.

I have both dye and pigment Canon printers and they all use the same inks but because my OS was reinstalled all the darn printer setting have been reset back to default again, not a problem if you have the proper inks for each individual printers.

The only disadvantage of using the same ink is that I now will have to reset the printers Device Profile to simulate each printer so their output will match each other closely, at the moment they are not even close.

A lot done but more to do and I reckon this change has caught me out big time, even Photoshop and Illustrators setting were all over the place, doing a photo on one printer is fine but it’s very slow trying to use more than one..

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I know you are going to say, "Perish the thought", but I will say it anyway.

TIME TO GET A COLOMUNKI!

RS

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
When I hear the COLOMUNKI I think that Xrite thought about their customers for this device as monkeys (stupid as), to buy it in the first place. Save money for proper spectro guys.

The device is very limited and claimed to be OK, but when I so it myself for fist time I though well the datacolor spyder print is pure toy, now this one seems 2x better. Yet the software side is so limited.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
When I hear the COLOMUNKI I think that Xrite thought about their customers for this device as monkeys (stupid as), to buy it in the first place. Save money for proper spectro guys.

The device is very limited and claimed to be OK, but when I so it myself for fist time I though well the datacolor spyder print is pure toy, now this one seems 2x better. Yet the software side is so limited.

Agree with you 100%.

For me:
The the colormunki works - more or less.
The Spyder print worked, but even worse than the colormunki and the profiles were unusable without major adjustment.
The next level above these two items costs about three times as much, and the software is still written by x-Rite.

You suggest saving money for a good spectrophotometer. What brand do you have in mind?

RS

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
The next level above these two items costs about three times as much, and the software is still written by x-Rite.You suggest saving money for a good spectrophotometer. What brand do you have in mind?

I suggest to buy at least i1Pro, or new model i1Pro2. Does not make a difference if you know how to use them and have valid certificated model.

The spectrophotometer is just hardware you need to devise you workflow, how to make good profiles in not just as easy as x-rite want's everyone to believe. Their software is crap and just look how they woke up 4 years or so later when after merging with gretagmacbeth they saw that white base etalon standards for their and the gretagmacbeth were different.

It's a major incompetence. I always mention this so anyone who thinks xrite is worth their money, heck I redesigned my iO base plate from scratch, they X-rite one was unusable as is.

Since the X-rite is now acquired by another company
(http://www.xrite.com/company_press_room.aspx?News=704), I don't know what their management thinks and tolerates the crap X-rite releases.

I do recommend barbierielectronic, but they are terribly overpriced for what it is.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I suggest to buy at least i1Pro, or new model i1Pro2. Does not make a difference if you know how to use them and have valid certificated model.

The spectrophotometer is just hardware you need to devise you workflow, how to make good profiles in not just as easy as x-rite want's everyone to believe. Their software is crap and just look how they woke up 4 years or so later when after merging with gretagmacbeth they saw that white base etalon standards for their and the gretagmacbeth were different.

It's a major incompetence. I always mention this so anyone who thinks xrite is worth their money, heck I redesigned my iO base plate from scratch, they X-rite one was unusable as is.

Since the X-rite is now acquired by another company
(http://www.xrite.com/company_press_room.aspx?News=704), I don't know what their management thinks and tolerates the crap X-rite releases.

I do recommend barbierielectronic, but they are terribly overpriced for what it is.

Hi Smile,

Thank you for replying - even though you did NOT answer my question or add any useful information to the subject. I respect the fact that English is understandably not your language of choice, but I would like to respond to the following points you make.

Exactly what parts of the colormunki are not a proper spectro as you say? It is, after all, an entry level instrument for US$500.

The alternative is that or nothing for most of us amateurs. In my view, even with its limitations, it is better than nothing. Sure the software is limited, but I repeat "entry level". Too much complication could produce marketing problems.

The news that X-Rite shares have been acquired by another company is already 5 years old, and basically irrelevant to this discussion.

My motivation for this discussion is that I want something better than the colormunki at a reasonable price - about US$1,000 or less. From what I can see there is not much available because building and bringing to market a good reliable quality spectro capable of being calibrated costs somewhere in the price range of the i1pro2. Probably even more as you do not seem to think much of the i1pro2

I do enjoy your perspectives and comments. They add much to these threads.

Roy Sletcher

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Anybody want to buy my item
Please refrain from selling your organs or services as a gigolo on this fine establishment or I will have to report you to the new deputy.

198180.jpg