Card Feed on Epson iP8750

Peterpaint

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
Hi,
I am a new member so I hope this meets with some ideas.

I have a print problem which so far no one has an answer. Anyone able to help?
I publish and print Greeting Cards.
The two main sizes of card are 140mm x 280mm folded to 140mm square. and A5 folding to A6.
I print these on a Canon iP8750. For pure ecconomic reasons of time and ink I use a Cityink Express CIS system. I have satisfactory used these systems on an Epson R2000, an Epson XP 960 and Canon IP 8750.
Card is from Paper Spectrum.

When I got the Epson iP8750 I wanted to use some of the matte coated 300gsm cards. The Epson iP8750 printer refused to print on the 140mm.sq. 300gsm card The card did not always engage into the proper position and so the printing started late just before the edge of the paper when there should be a 3mm border. I tried the glossy 240 gsm and it printed and registed perfectly on the 140mm wide cards, I can leave this size to run without a problem.

So I introduced the A5 folding to A6. I still print on the 240 gsm glossy card. However as before this is not regeristering with the paper feed. Same issue as with the 300 gsm card.
The A5 cards are cut in a different grain direction so I changed to A5 landscape and worked the cards to make them more flexible, this helps but not always. The waste is unsatisfactory and it is very strange the same card at 140mm wide will feed without any problem.
All my printing due to volume has to be machine fed. Thank you for looking at this problem.
Any ideas?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Peter.

Consider yourself fortunate if you are able to run a CISS on the Canon without much headache. Canon's typically do not play well with CISS.

The Epson iP8750 printer refused to print on the 140mm.sq. 300gsm card
I take it you meant Canon and not Epson. The paper size is a Custom measurement. The paper weight is at the maximum Canon recommends. These two things may be why you are having difficulty.

Your printer's recommendations:

Screenshot_2021-02-28 Canon PIXMA iP8750 -Specifications - Inkjet Photo Printers.png

Are you folding the paper before or after you print? A folded paper before printing would be too much for the printer to handle.

The A5 cards are cut in a different grain direction so I changed to A5 landscape and worked the cards to make them more flexible, this helps but not always.
Yes, paper weight counts but so does the texture and other physical properties of the paper. That you need to "work" the paper to make it more flexible in order to print means your printer is overwhelmed with this paper.

Our resident printing expert Moderator The Hat probably has much experience with issues like these and can offer advice.

It may be that you will either need to use different card stock or get a printer that can handle the paper you want to use. The Canon iP8750 does not seem up to the task.

Can you use your Epson printers for this printing?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The A5 cards are cut in a different grain direction so I changed to A5 landscape and worked the cards to make them more flexible,
The only suggestion I can make is to clean the paper feed rollers, because you have already changed the paper grain direction.
Question:- is the iP8750 cartridge feed or is it a paper top loader..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
That's a good question, Canon websites don't tell and neither do many reviewers. But here is a review with photos showing the printer has a rear paper feed.

I don't know if "machine fed" means fed from the cassette. I think that will not work, but using the rear feed with a much lower capacity might work.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The printer has got a pigment black cartridge for plain paper documents, so I would have thought it also had a cassette for plain paper at least for the A4 and Letter formats.

The A4/Letter versions of the printers of this cartridge family only have cassette feed, no rear paper feed.