Canvas Rolls - A question

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I am thinking of producing a few Art Canvas wraps on my Epson 3880. Before buying the components I need to resolve a few concepts.

The canvas is rather expensive, and because at this stage I Am uncertain of sizes and quantities, I am considering purchasing a roll and cutting to the various sheet sizes I require. Anticipate small quantities so do not think the labour will be irksome.

I am pretty confident I have sufficient hand-eye co-ordination to cut squared sheets in the size I require, but have the following questions.

1] Will a hand cut canvas sheet feed reliably on the Epson 3880? I have seen the occasional post about feed problems. Mine seems rock solid feeding, but exclusively with commercial fibre based sheets.

2] What is the best de-curling method for the cut sheets? I saw a decurler advertised on the web for around US$250, which seems a bit steep. The picture indicated a broom-handle like device with a paper or cloth tail.

3] Any thoughts or comments on possible problems, or the practibility of my idea. I have posted on this site first because of the practical and helpful nature of the participants, plus their demonstrated ingenuity in solving problems.

All comments welcome.

rs

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm printing on fabric material from the roll once in a while on my Pro 7600, uncurling is not needed for the material I'm using, the curling effect is much weaker than with regular papers. What are you planning with the prints - framing or wrapping what ? But all that depends on the material you are planning to use , if it is heavy and thick, adjust the platen gap accordingly and use a good and stable cutter

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Roy Sletcher, one of the best ways of de-curing your paper is with a window roller blind, they can be picked up fairly cheaply on line.

The canvas I use is block made for professional artists in packs of ten sheets 45 x 60.5 cm in size and 280 gm in weight and it all ready has been primed so will accept dye or pigment ink, beats the hell out of rolls for price..

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
I've printed plenty of canvas on my 3800 and now on my 3880 with very good results. I buy 17" rolls and cut to the length I need. Canvas by its very nature is "soft" and doesn't retain any significant curl once it's cut from the roll, so forget any type of de-roller.

To make feeding easier I always tape a piece of ordinary photo paper to the leading edge of the canvas. I use a strip about 25mm wide and attach it to the back of the canvas using double-sided tape. The tape doesn't stick very well to the rough surface of the canvas so it's easy to peel the paper strip off and re-use it. I've done panoramas up to 1.5m wide using this method but my normal size now is 20" x 14", wrapped on 18mm wooden stretchers. 14" is the maximum width that you can reasonably do with a 17" canvas. Here's an example:-

_1120259.jpg

I enjoy printing on canvas because it's physically very forgiving - handling 17" x 25" sheets of 320gsm paper needs a lot of care but with canvas you can roll it, fold it and generally abuse it without doing any real harm.

Good luck with it Roy.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. Gives me the confidence to proceed with the project.

I am intending to stretch the canvas using the hardware from the site below. Have not dealt wit them previously, but will start with their trial pack, so the initial risk is not too great.
https://www.itsupplies.com/StretchIT-Canvas-Gallerie-Wrap-Solutions

Will start with the Red River Paper canvas rolls listed below. Have dealt with Red River for several years and have confidence in their products and customer service.
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/blanco-matte-inkjet-printable-canvas.html

As a side note! I have been making fake canvas wraps for years on my old Canon Pro 100 using Red River artificial canvas sheets. Cut the print to size, tuck the corners and staple the print onto a pre-formed blank canvas wrap intended for artists from the Dollar store. Complete 8 x 10 faux canvas wrap including paper, ink, and mount around $5.00. Great for small gifts or images for informal areas, work cubicles etc. Very lightweight and no glass involved. I recommend giving it a try.

I have attached a quick photo made a few moments ago from behind my home work desk of a few on the wall. Large one is a trial 12x18 made on my 3880. Other three are 8x10 made on my Canon Pro 100. Incidentally the flower has been hanging for about 5 years with PC inks. Bright but not direct sun from picture right. In my opinion it has lasted well with no visible degradation over than time.

Anybody needing info on making the faux gallery wraps just ask. Good for family Christmas gifts.

Thanks for all the help guys. This site is the greatest.

rs

Attachments

• _MG_0025 - EOS 7D-1.jpg
    _MG_0025 - EOS 7D-1.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 412

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think that's great pictures which would qualify very well for the POW ...