Can't bypass "low toner" message on Lexmark Laser printer

hmunster123

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
lexmark cs317dn
I have a Lexmark cs317dn. It's out of yellow toner and gives me the "low toner" message. I have yellow toner in a bottle and can refill the cartridge myself. Does anyone know if I can reset the machine. I can't do it through the menu on the printer, tried everything, can't bypass the low toner message. Is there anyway to bypass through the motherboard or other options? Please no lectures on using "bootleg" toner, just want to know if there is a way to hack the machine. Thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Normally you cannot reset toner levels after a refill, but many refill suppliers sell replacement chips that make the refilled toner cartridges look like new to the printer. Here is a video showing the refill of a Lexmark toner cartridge and replacing the chip. The language is Romanian but the video shows the procedures. So you will need to start looking for replacement chips.

Another solution would be to buy remanufactured or compatible toner cartridges. Here is a German supplier.

Last edited:

hmunster123

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
lexmark cs317dn
The toner and chip are $42 per color cartridge, too high for me. I think I will buy a Canon Imageclass, cheaper toner.