Canson Baryta - Photographique 310gsm

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
..is a paper I have read and heard a great deal about, but had not tried. Today was the day to change that. I am making a print to give to a friend as a 'thank you' for teaching me a new form of fishing.
The image is posted in another thread.

I did'nt take photo but I did process it. Mainly in Topaz, but also in PS and was planning on the usual Matte treatment on Canson Watercolour. Having GRUNGED the presentation I felt that the behaviour of the medium texture paper aged my friend a bit too much (no hope for me alas!). The effect I wanted was gritty and a bit hard edged in 'feel' not outright distressed and in your face. Reprinting several times with various reprocess options failed to deliver anyting like what I had in mind. Having used up the last A4 Watercolour sheet I cast around for another A4 paper. The box of Baryta was all I have aside of Canon papers (nothing at all against them) but they are just too mellow for what I wanted.

With nothing to lose but a sheet of expensive paper I set up the 3880 as per Canson instructions in Lightroom, using a Canson made ICC Profile. To be honest I did not expect to nail even a half decent output first up. So imagine my surprise when a very acceptable print rolled out first go. The Baryta is a satin texture with a bit more gloss than the plain Ink Jet Paper I favour for my Matte prints.

The colours are rich with good depth. Black is good, and gives some nice but not exceptional deeper shadow detail.

All in all, well worth a try if an image seems to need a bit more 'sympathy'

Hope this is of use to someone,

Cheers,

Andrew

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
..is a paper I have read and heard a great deal about, but had not tried. Today was the day to change that. I am making a print to give to a friend as a 'thank you' for teaching me a new form of fishing.
The image is posted in another thread.

I did'nt take photo but I did process it. Mainly in Topaz, but also in PS and was planning on the usual Matte treatment on Canson Watercolour. Having GRUNGED the presentation I felt that the behaviour of the medium texture paper aged my friend a bit too much (no hope for me alas!). The effect I wanted was gritty and a bit hard edged in 'feel' not outright distressed and in your face. Reprinting several times with various reprocess options failed to deliver anyting like what I had in mind. Having used up the last A4 Watercolour sheet I cast around for another A4 paper. The box of Baryta was all I have aside of Canon papers (nothing at all against them) but they are just too mellow for what I wanted.

With nothing to lose but a sheet of expensive paper I set up the 3880 as per Canson instructions in Lightroom, using a Canson made ICC Profile. To be honest I did not expect to nail even a half decent output first up. So imagine my surprise when a very acceptable print rolled out first go. The Baryta is a satin texture with a bit more gloss than the plain Ink Jet Paper I favour for my Matte prints.

The colours are rich with good depth. Black is good, and gives some nice but not exceptional deeper shadow detail.

All in all, well worth a try if an image seems to need a bit more 'sympathy'

Hope this is of use to someone,

Cheers,

Andrew

Good to know.

I have just acquired an Epson 3880, and also purchased my first batch of Canson Watercolor paper based on the advice in the J. Toolman videos.

Good to know the Canon Baryta works well too.

So far have been really impressed wit the 3880, but have not had much time to experiment.

Initial finding is that I prefer the Pro100 for the very high gloss papers, but on matte and lustre the 3880 knocks my socks off.

RS

Being as it is summertime in the northern hemisphere and the living is easy, have not done much printing. Will catch up in the fall.

Looking forward to putting the 3880 through its paces.

RS

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
I did'nt take photo but I did process it. Mainly in Topaz, but also in PS and was planning on the usual Matte treatment on Canson Watercolour. Having GRUNGED the presentation I felt that the behaviour of the medium texture paper aged my friend a bit too much (no hope for me alas!). The effect I wanted was gritty and a bit hard edged in 'feel' not outright distressed and in your face. Reprinting several times with various reprocess options failed to deliver anyting like what I had in mind.

I've used the Museo Portfolio Rag and it's an excellent matt paper but with a smooth texture if you want a matt paper that is. Canson Rag Photographique is similar.

The Canson Baryta is an excellent paper that I like very much and works very well with the 3880 but I like the Canson Platine Fibre Rag even better. It's a tad warmer but has almost the same gamut and D-max. It costs a little more but not much. It feels very nice in the hand. It has a similar surface as the Baryta and it works well for portraits.

Per

Last edited: