Canon's New Printer

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well folks Canon has finally realesed the ChromaLife 100 ink printer more new models will probably follow. The printer has 1 picoliter nozzles and has a resolution of 9600x2400: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=11641

Unlike the Japanese Models the ink cartridges are CLI-8s. I don't know what difference in the formulation of the BCI-6, BCI-7 or the CLI-8 inks but we will find out shortly. The Pigmented Black cartridge now carries the designation of PGI-5. I wonder if they changed the cartridge numbers to confuse us?

Mickey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wonder if this is the first of a new family of printers? And why the 4xxx series Vs the 5xxx or 6xxx?

Thanks for the heads up.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much better the new inks are? They rate it at 100 years fade resistance, but in total darkness or in archival quality photo albums. 10 years gas stability. As compared to Wilhelm tests Canon inflated the longevity of their inks that we are currently using. The inks, except for the pigmented black cart, are still dye-based.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Now Canon is listing a Pixma iP1600 with ChromaLife 100 inks, supposed to be available July. The Pixma iP90 is now showing it uses ChromaLife 100 inks.

It looks like the new line of printers using the ChromaLife 100 inks will soon be available.

Wonder when the 3rd party ink manufactures will have the bulk or cartridges?

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Are they planning on putting this chroma-inks on bci-6 cartridges? i hope this type of ink is compatible with our existing printheads.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
That would be great if these "archival" inks would work in the BCI-6 carts..or if Canon will make BCI-6 inks which would last longer than the usual BCI-6. I've just started selling colour prints with my i9900, and it would be great to sell more lightfast, longer-lasting prints which could compete with Epson's OEM inks.

Stay tuned

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If this is true about non-refillable chipped cartridges, then this is a sad story indeed. Canon's printers, ever since the introduction of the I-series and Pixma series, have steadily increased in quality, sales and market share. I suppose the success they were having was just not enough. Now they have succumbed to what the other printer manuacturers are doing. I guess, that in business, greed conquers all.

It's depressing, somewhat.....