Canon Wireless

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Gang

I have this friend that just bought a Canon printer its a TS5020... He is having trouble getting it to print wireless, so he gave me a buzz to see if I knew how to fix this... So I trotted over there thinking this will be a no brainer.. ha ha I could not get it to work wireless either...

Now here is his situation he has a IPhone and a Ipad, so he set it up to air print, and it prints just fine that way but as soon as he goes to print something using his PC it ask to have the USB cable connected... It will not print wireless to his PC.. He connects the cable and it prints... So should I set it up again and pass up the air print to see if it will print wireless to his PC now... I thought if it is a wireless printer and proper modem and router this should print wireless, regards less.... What am I missing....

Thanx....Gunny

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Sorry I can't speak for the TS5020, but my Pro-100 gave me similar problems, until I found an Internet instruction to first connect the printer to the PC with the USB cable, and then use the program on the Canon CD to install the "wireless". The install program does go through some hokey pokey, but it gives good instructions. I believe it installs the printer port on your PC first, before contacting the WiFi. If the port is not installed first on your PC, then the network WiFi may see the printer, but the printer can't talk back to your PC. That's my guess why a simple "add printer" fails. Anyway I am sticking with it :)

Gunny

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi KD

Thanx for the tips... You might be right there.. The PC has Win 10 on it and it keeps telling me it cannot see the printer.. Did you start the install with the USB connected or not... I believe it says to wait until it tells you to connect it..

Thanx...Gunny

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If the computer does not have wireless connection, such as its own wireless card or connected to a wireless router, then you will need to connect the USB cable to print.

There is a specific sequence Canon requires you to go through when installing the printer for use on a computer and smartphone/tablet. See instructions at http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300024229/01/TS5000_GS_U2a-1_V1.pdf. Go to "2. Connecting with Computer and Smartphone/Tablet."

It sounds like you have installed the drivers for the printer on the computer since it will print from the computer if the USB cable is attached. Without reading more instructions for a workaround to your issue, the simplest thing may be to uninstall the printer on the computer then reboot and begin the installation process fresh following the instructions above.

The User Manual can be found at http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300025221/01/TS5000ser_OnlineManual_Win_EN_V01.pdf. There are many troubleshooting tips available. Chances are that once you go through the proper installation routine that everything will work.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Hi KD

Thanx for the tips... You might be right there.. The PC has Win 10 on it and it keeps telling me it cannot see the printer.. Did you start the install with the USB connected or not... I believe it says to wait until it tells you to connect it..

Thanx...Gunny

@Gunny. That sounds correct, if I remember correct, it's been a while. So don't connect the cable until the program tells you.

@stratman is correct, but I still put my money on the WiFi connection install sequence from the Canon CD and the USB cable. At least it solved my install issue.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@stratman is somewhat correct
Exactly what is "somewhat" correct? My post comes from the horse's mouth - Canon. It is 100% correct.I think you did not read the link I provided.

You may have missed that OP did not give enough specifics for anyone to assume there is an installation CD or even how the printer was installed, such as only for wireless printing or other.

kdsdata, there is often more than one way to skin a cat in Windows. In this case, it appears the only selective skinning is whether you install from the internet or from installation files already on hand as the link in my post instructs. I assumed nothing more than what OP stated, which was little. The best way to move him forward is for him to read the instructions for that specific printer series and then follow them to the letter instead of presuming things that may or may not be and get further down the rabbit hole.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I stand corrected. I just passed on my experience. I have removed the 'somewhat'.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks, kdsdata.