Canon to Release two new Printers

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
These new printers will be available shortly and at a considerable lower price than the Pro 9000 /Pro 9500 were so we will have to wait and see if they are any better, in the EU they start at 499 and 699.

They will replace the 9000 and 9500, the Pro 100 will be dye based and the Pro 10 will have pigment inks, there cartridges look the very same as the CLI-8 and PGI-9 carts, so some good new there..

5128_new_carts.png

Spitfire

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Any compatibles manufacturing company announced production of compatibles? I figure cartridges will be expensive as hell

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon is also introducing a new series of 5 cartridge printers: http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/newproducts/ , on the European market. The iP7250 is one of these new printers: http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_iP7250/index.aspx . Click the "specification" tab and notice the new series of PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges. The concept of standard and XL versions of these cartridges is also new.

I wonder when a new resetter will be available and what the purpose of the "QR" codes on the cartridges for the PRO 10 and Pro 100 printers is?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Spitfire said:
Any compatibles manufacturing company announced production of compatibles? I figure cartridges will be expensive as hell
With these types of printers using compatibles would be just plain crazy, OEM is King especially the opaque ones.. :)
Cartridges are the PGI- 72's and CLI- 42's All new..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
These look as if Canon has reused the old chassis, reprogrammed new logic boards to to use different ink color tones, and slapped on a new body. The nozzle counts appear identical on the Pro-100 and Pro9000 same for the Pro10 and Pro9500. ...perhaps even the same printheads. I strongly suspect this. Hat's pictures of the 42 and PGI-72 look like the same bodies from the prior generations will be used. Definitely not the same chips though.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
PeterBJ points out something that is new to Canon but NOT new to HP. The XL ink tanks. Remember that the non XL tanks are compromised for refilling i.e not the ideal setup.

On both the Pro10 and Pro-100, the words "set up ink tanks" are in "What's in the Box". If you look at the specs on the 9500 and 9000, they explicitly state that the normal ink tanks are included. Just what are the "set up ink tanks"? I suspect the normal tanks are the XL and the setup ink tanks might be special small capacity ones not really meant for refilling.

This way, Canon is pretty much assured of at least one set of replacement normal tanks to be sold with each printer.....thus extending the razor blade model to perfection...right off HP's playbook.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I thought the trend was for bigger ink carts not mounted in the head, I assume these are normal size mounted in the head. Is that right?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Rodbam,

Yes: still the same concept as the other Canon printers like the Canon Pro 9000 and Pro 9500. The good thing are the gray and light gray cartridges. A few years ago I made some postulations if it would be possible if the Canon i9950/Pro 9000 could have the green and red (orange) cartridges been replaced by....gray and light gray cartridges so to obtain true neutral black&white printing....Dye inks already have a very good gamut many people complain about the very sporadic usage of these two inks...It looks like Canon has listen to me.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Gday Pharmacist
I was surprised that Canon would still produce a new high end dye based printer as it seems most if not all photographers will only use pigment inks for the archival properties. As you say the dye inks have a very good colour gamut, would there be any advantage to a dye ink printer for B&W prints?
Regards Rod

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
rodbam said:
Gday Pharmacist
I was surprised that Canon would still produce a new high end dye based printer as it seems most if not all photographers will only use pigment inks for the archival properties. As you say the dye inks have a very good colour gamut, would there be any advantage to a dye ink printer for B&W prints?
Regards Rod
Yes: high gloss B&W photo's, which cannot be reached with pigment inks. I think it is a great advantage.

I could turn my Epson R3000 into a dye ink printer if I want, but I will suffer from fading prints.....