Canon S9000

screeny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yo Bro; I've just got my Canon S9000 working again - with a little help from Laser Friend - www.laserfriend.co.uk - God bless their little cotton socks.
Canon inkjet printers might well be at the top of the tree for quality and speed, etc., but they're an absolute bugger when they decide just to stop printing and to hell with deadlines and customers turning purple. Our S9000 is the only printer we've had (and we've had a few) that delivers both orgasmic highs and coronary lows within the same breath. Having said that - we would'nt be without it for the world - it produces the goods that hold the clients interest and delight. Nice one Canon, but shame on you for not producing on-line service manuals so we can keep these little darling buggerbos pumping out the goods and singing your praises. Now the real reason for airing. Grateful thanks go to Neil Slade for his informative (nay vital) website - www.neilslade.com - and it's traumatically gained insights into printing matters and problem workarounds. It was the WASTE TANK ALMOST FULL ERROR MESSAGE PROBLEM information that got us out of crap this time - cheers good buddy.
PS - if anyone has come across a Canon S9000 workshop or maintenance manual, we'd be pleased to swop hugs and kisses.
Thanks again Neil: Screeny

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the thanks.

ah yes, Canon's have their highs- and lows- but its mostly highs compared to others, so I'm sticking with them.

I've got three i960s these days-- in the same week I had a circuit board go out on one, and the waste tank full on the other--- both under warranty, just took them both in to Denver's Metro Camera repair, both fixed free within a few days, got new print heads to boot.

The waste tank full message repair is the same for the i series as for the S series, but you've got to do it before the printer shuts off completely--- reset during waste tank ALMOST full message.

Taking the covers off the i series printers is a SNAP- literally-- you just find all the little arrow pointed to slots, and open them with a long slim screwdriver to undo the plastic click-snaps. There is one hidden behind the poster buttons, and this requires removing the on off buttons by undoing two screws first, unplugging the electric connector, then opening this list clip behind.

hoosey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i have a question for you neil if you could answer i have cleaned the pad and reset the counter 8 flashes and it worked but when it got round to the first print after reset it went back to 8 flashes again ever seen this happen or is it just my s9000 i have not done anything else can you help its a business critical printer as well wont let you resume...im stuck please help

zegel000

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I do have the same problem with the S9000. After cleaning the pad I cannot reset the 8 flashes. I have tried all the well known codes.Maybe someone has a solution.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have a friend with a Canon S9000 who started to receive the dreaded waste tank almost full error.

Tried the reset sequence of:
1. Hold down the resume button while powering on, continue to hold the power button on untill the lite is steady green.
2. After the light is steady green release the resume button and press it twice (the light will turn orange and then after the head moves back and forth and stops moving the light will become steady green.
3. After you get the steady green press the resume button four (4) times (the light will turn orange, green, orange and green again.
4. after the 4 clicks on the resume button turn off the printer. It may take as many as three clicks or pulling the power to get the printer to turn off.

I tried all the above but the printer would not ever give me the steady green (would not enter the service mode).

I tried pluging the power cord while holding the power and resume button on, didn't work.
I tried leaving the cover open, didn't work.
While leaving the cover open I discovered the print head would not park for cartridge replacement, which is not right, I couldn't get the print head to move after the first power on.
I tried removing the print head and cleaning the contacts, didn't work.
After all that work I gave up only to try later with the print head removed.

With the print head removed the printer went through the reset sequence as it should.
After the reset sequence I replaced the print head and low and behold no error lights.

Yea

This might not work on all the Canons but saved my friend from having to take it to an authorized service station and spending about $100.00 on the printer.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Excellent post! The more people that try to reset their printers and post what worked for them the better off we'll all be.

Hey tyamada, I didn't read if you cleaned the pad or not. I'm still wondering if the "waste tank" error is based on the number of prints / cleanings or if there is actually a meter that can sense when the pad is "full". If your friend can happily keep printing for another 6 months - year then I'd say it is because of an internal counter NOT meter for sure.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I didn't clean the pads I will let my friend get his hands dirty. From what I have read on the internet the waste tank error comes for the counting the firings of the jets and the number of cleaning cycles the printer goes through. If we could get the software that the Canon service center uses on the printers when they come in for service we would be amazed at the information stored in the printer, I understand the software can tell how many each color jet has fired and how many pages the printer has printed. Amazing stuff if only.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
After a lot of research I discovered that Canon Ink Jets have a EEPROM that gets written to every time you use the printer. The EEPROM keeps track of the waste ink that is calculated by the printer logic board. Here is a quote from a service manual I managed to aquire. "The printer uses the total waste-ink absorption amount recorded by the EEPROM as the basis for determining whether the waste ink is full." I don't know how the logic board determines how much ink that is going into the waste tank but eventually we will all get the dreaded error.

Latest posts