Canon S600 head clog

thrif-t

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a very stubborn head clog on the cyan color, that is not responding
to attempts to unclog it. When I print a nozzle check pattern, the top part
of every other row is not printing. Underneath the grids that are printed out
in each color are blocks labeled A through H. The "B" block looks like a comb
with its teeth up, while the "E" block below it is fairly solid, both of those are
cyan ink only.

I am wondering what the significance of each of those blocks are,
as well as what I should try next to get the problem resolved.
In case it was a bad electrical contact, I applied some Caig Labs
contact conditioner to the contacts on the printhead. I have tried
filling an ink tank with window cleaner and letting it soak for a few days,
and also using a syringe and tubing connected to the intake port on the cyan
color and hot distilled water to clear out the ports, as well as running cleaning cycles.

I can scan and post the nozzle check printout if that would help.
Thanks in advance!

Ron

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
This one isn't a clog. The pattern you describe is typical of a burned out print head.

thrif-t

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was suspecting that myself, I guess I'll go shopping for a Pixma printer so I can print CD's & DVD's - I was tempted to get one anyway when I found out here that it could be modified to do this.
I have turned up a refurbished IP4000 at Digitally Unique for $77.95 - comments anyone? Looks like a good deal to me. I want to get one that uses the BCI-6 ink tanks and can be modded for CD printing.

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Be sure the refurb is in a Canon refurb box. If it is, it will have a new print head and full set of Canon ink cartridges. At that price you shouldn't go wrong. The iP4000 is a great little printer. I'm completely satisfied with the one I have.

thrif-t

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I lost even more of the cyan nozzles, now block B is vertical bars, but
the funny thing is, I can print a photo onto glossy paper, and except for a magenta
tint, it looks fine - no evidence of banding. Ditto for photos on plain paper, and text
printing in color. I am puzzled at how this can be.

I just got in a Hobbicolors ink kit, so I can replace the ink tanks and I suspect
that will take care of the magenta tinge.

I'm seeing new ip4000's being sold on Ebay, new, but with UPC's removed,
people are apparently getting a camera or PC, sending for the combo $100 rebate,
and hoping to sell the printer for more than $50 so they make money on the deal.

One last question - can the printers sold on Ebay by Ivex be trusted to be in
good condition? Anyone had a good or bad experience to share? Thanks,

Ron

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In terms of ivex, that is where I bought my mp730. Really crappy sounding vendors, terrible sounding communications, yet they sent a printout from the printer that showed it worked. But still overall, a pig in the poke with rip off shipping rates.

Before I bid I did investigate feedback and there was no seeming correlation between bid amount and the likely hood of getting a bad unit. But if you can nail a high end unit for a very low price its sometimes worth the gamble even if you have to pay rip off shipping.

I gambled and won------you may or may not be so lucky. A MP 730 for $26.00 plus
$40. shipping. Works perfectly but no cartridges, software, or owners manual. Also beware on Canon models, if they do not specify comes with printhead assume not.

Their return policy stinks.

Would never bid on their low end units but the high end units often go dirt cheap.

CP83

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Some Staples stores have the ip4000 on clearance for $99.50 with a $50.00 rebate. There is also a coupon code that will let you take $20.00 off of a $150.00 purchase. (The coupon expires tomorrow though so you better hurry.) I bought 2 of them yesterday and after rebate it should just cost me $91.53 (Including tax) for both of them.

I found out about this deal on fatwallet.com. There is a link in the discussion for the $20 off of $150 coupon.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=0&catid=18&threadid=540956

thrif-t

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I had already discovered the Fatwallet thread last night, I'll be checking my area stores to see if any are available, sure hope so. I'm giving up on the S600, I've lost half of the yellow as well as the cyan.

Update: I got my IP4000! Went to the nearest Staples after calling and being told they had three of them; got there and the sales clerk couldn't find them, he asked around and found out that one person had bought all 3 (bet they found out about the price cut on Fatwallet too!), but the next nearest store still had one, and I got it.

Ron

CP83

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
thrif-t said:
Thanks for the heads up, I had already discovered the Fatwallet thread last night, I'll be checking my area stores to see if any are available, sure hope so. I'm giving up on the S600, I've lost half of the yellow as well as the cyan.

Update: I got my IP4000! Went to the nearest Staples after calling and being told they had three of them; got there and the sales clerk couldn't find them, he asked around and found out that one person had bought all 3 (bet they found out about the price cut on Fatwallet too!), but the next nearest store still had one, and I got it.

Ron
Glad to hear you found one. I found 2 more of them yesterday and I couldn't resist getting them at this price. I'll probably keep one and give the others out for Christmas gifts. The Staples salesman was amazed at the price himself. He said Staples had to pay 80 some dollars for them at wholesale!