Canon Rebate DEALS Which One Pro 10 or Pro 100 ? Please guide me

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Sorry for my verbosity.
I now have a MX922. Worked OK until now. I will need to have repaired.Problem is COMPLEX & I may have warranty still in effect.

I am intrigued by the "deals" Canon Pro-10 & Pro-100 offer through end of Feb 2019, but can't decide between them.
I ONLY really need a larger format printer. The higher resolution and better{?} color will be a bonus for me. I don't print a lot of photos but print tons of web pages from internet for things to read.

I can BETTER understand things I read from paper [ I'm 80 and only mildly cognitively impaired]. I can keep the MX922 for FAX and Scanning, copying features etc., if the two PRO models don't support those features. It will be nice if I don't NEED to keep the MX922 just for those capabilities.

I likely will refill or even use 3rd party carts. I will use refills for BETTER quality needs. I have both Apple and MS Windows computers.

I have read many reviews. They confuse me more.
If I will need to buy some colors of OEM carts ONLY that will be a negative for me. I can live with refilling carts if I can get empty ones to refill [I really don't want to have to go through hassle to modify OEM carts just to be able to refill them].

I have been impressed by the help printer gurus here give to folks who are not experts.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Google and go visit sites that sell the Maxify printer, there are 5 models to choose from and at least one should suite your pocket.

It has all the bells and whistles your require in one printer, and it’s easy to refill the big ink cartridges with compatible ink, which can be got from:- http://www.precisioncolors.com/Max12.html and https://www.inkowl.com/?p=search&q=Maxify
PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE
This might not help you decide but it’s a start and a good recommendation..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I ONLY really need a lDPD1-0WT2-A5KX-QE7H-16WS.
What do you mean by this? Your MX922 can print paper sizes up to letter and legal size. The Pro-10/100 can print up to 11"x13". Do you need to print larger? Use roll paper?

The Pro-100 uses all dye-based inks. If you need water resistant prints, such as for labels or highlighting, then go with the Pro-10 (Pigment ink only) or the Maxify (pigment ink only)

The Maxify is designed more for a home office / small office and therefore is speedy, can hold more paper sheets, and does text well. Photo image quality is not the focal point. It is not a photo printer, but the quality of it's images may be sufficient for your purposes.

The Maxify has larger ink tanks that last a long time compared to your printer or the Pro series printers you mentioned. The Maxify can be refilled with aftermarket inks. Besides paper capacity and print speed, a major difference in the models is whether that can do automatic two-sided (auto duplex) printing.

As our fearless leader @The Hat said, the Maxify can scan, copy and fax.

If you can, go to a brick and mortar store that has demo printers that you can see work and evaluate the printed pages.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat -- in order to remove a cartridge before it is marked as empty, do you have begin a print job, pull the plug, and then turn the white plastic cog wheel as explained in Mikling's PC instructions? Or is there another way?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If the OP means DINA3/11-13” wide for large format, a Maxify alone won’t do unless he adds also a Pro10/Pro100.
Considering that a Pro100, with USA rebates, is an incredible bargain and also easy to refill, maybe it’s a good option, provided he buys also a second printer, be it a Maxify or another model. Repairing his MX922, if possible, surely would cost more than a new model (unless Canon honors the warranty, which seems dubious in the best of cases ).

On the other part, if he wants a single machine for everything ( large format printing, scanner/copy/fax ) I believe that Canon has only the TS9550. Probably it will cost roughly the same than a Pro100 with rebate plus a Maxify of medium range. The quality of photos won’t match a Pro100 but he said that this isn’t paramount.

This is of course in Canonland. I wouldn’t know what Epson or other brands offer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@The Hat -- in order to remove a cartridge before it is marked as empty, do you have begin a print job, pull the plug, and then turn the white plastic cog wheel as explained in Mikling's PC instructions? Or is there another way?
Yes, pulling the plug is the normal way to get to the cartridges on the Maxify, but I don’t need to turn the white plastic cog to access the carts, mine just lift out anywhere on the carriageway...

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
I did not say this "I ONLY really need a lDPD1-0WT2-A5KX-QE7H-16WS". I have no idea what it means or who said it.

I think the MX922 will be repaired under warranty because VISA pays for the second year.
I have used this VISA benefit before-it is easy to get them to pay for repair or replace item.
I am familiar with dye based inks. This is a positive for the PRO-100.
Artur5 you say Pro-100 plus another printer{my repaired MX 922] that only cost me the very little net cost for Pro 100 considering the rebate.
Those printer prices are like the Siren singing on the rock- they lure me in.
I also have a Canon LBP6230dw laser printer. Use it for printing documents that need to be relatively fade resistant. It is fast too.

Very interesting suggestions-I had not even though about the Maxify family. Looks like they net for less than $100.
I understand the advantages of all pigment inks, but the "higher ink costs etc are negatives for me.

Assuming I'll get my MX 922 repaired or replaced by VISA's money, adding the Pro 100 seems to give me the features I need/want/think I need.

FOLKS MANY thanks for your advice. I am responsible for my decisions. If my choice isn't RIGHT, I own the decision.
I will read the forum replies for a couple of days then bite the bullet FOR A PRO 100.

MY PRINTER AFTER THE PRO 100, WILL LIKELY BE ONE WITH THE BIG TANKS. {IF I LIVE LONG ENOUGH}

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I did not say this "I ONLY really need a lDPD1-0WT2-A5KX-QE7H-16WS". I have no idea what it means or who said it.
That is bizarre. I highlighted your text and clicked on reply and the forum software automatically quotes that text in a new post. How it pasted those alphanumerics instead of the rest of your text about a "larger format printer" is something for @Nifty to look into. :idunno

Given the beginning of the quote, "I ONLY really need a", it should be easy to tell what I was asking by looking at your previous post: What do you mean by "larger format printer"?

All this is moot if you've already made your decision. Good luck. :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All this is moot if you've already made your decision. Good luck. :)
I was going to say hurry up before the offer is gone, and it has now.. :(

So back to the drawing board...And disregard:- I ONLY really need a lDPD1-0WT2-A5KX-QE7H-16WS :confused: