Canon Pro10s new owner. Some considerations.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Finally the printhead of my Pro9000 said politely goodbye, so I took the plunge into the pigment world with a Canon Pro10s. After almost three weeks, those are my initial impressions :

1- On the controversial matter of cleaning/purging cycles.
I’ve been printing something every single day since the Pro10s arrived. Most days it performs a rather lengthy purging cycle when I start the first print job. No mistake on the noises and the delay involved before the paper is pulled inside and the real printing starts.
Conclusion is clear: no matter how often you print, automated purges are triggered by the time elapsed since the last purge. The 60 hours myth is not a myth at all but a real fact of life in Canonland. Maybe it’s even less than 60 hours.

2- I’ve noticed that the Pro10s is very slow compared to my former Pro9000, when printing on other than plain paper at standard/draft quality. I assumed this is due to the CO layer that has to be applied on top of the regular colors. First pass: regular colors and then another pass for the CO. Therefore it made sense that it took twice the time to print,but this theory doesn’t seems to hold water. I did a test print using first a setting for glossy paper and CO set to auto and then another print with Matt paper setting on the driver ( where supposedly no CO is applied). Well, it didn’t made any difference. In both cases it took almost 5 minutes to print a DIN-A4 picture in high quality setting

3- Print output is great and B&W photos are vastly better than the Pro9000 for what concerns lack of color cast and tonal smoothness. I’m still using the original set of cartridges and I profiled my current papers with a Color Munki. Intending to use Octoink supplies after the OEM carts are exhausted, I’ll make new profiles for that ink,
Anyway, as Jtooman and others said, the OEM red of the Pro10s is terrific and I doubt that the alternatives offered by any third party would compare well. Possibly I’ll stick to OEM red in the future. It seems to be scarcely used anyway, so the extra cost won’t be much. Both the Red and the Matte black show almost full on the ink monitoring screen, while Gray and CO are already half empty and the other colors somewhere between.

4- Setup wasn’t a breeze. Getting the Wifi to work involved trial and error until I found out that you need to install it first as a regular USB printer and afterwards set-up the Wifi with the printer still connected by the USB cable to the computer. Trying to detect the Wifi network automatically or to use the WPS button of the router was frustratingly useless.
Now the computer sees 4 different printers :
1 - Pro10s series USB
2 - Pro10s series Wifi
3 - Pro10s series WS wifi
4 - Pro10s series XPS Wifi

I haven’t the slightest idea of what ‘WS’ means and I have no intention of using the XPS driver so I’ll leave alone those two extra printers.. as long as they don’t start making weird noises at dead of night.:p