Canon Pro Platinum Paper - Packaging change

Michael Maher

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
Hi All, quite new to this forum but believe you could advise be on this concern. I have a Canon Pro 100 and for my mono work I really like Canons Pro Platinum paper. Recently it has been difficult to get locally...in fact I was told by one supplier that it was discontinued and no longer available. I found this might not have been true and managed to get it via the net and have kept up supply using a number of sources. Today I received an A3 Pack but in a red pack (not the black that I am used to???) I will phone the supplier but I wondered if anyone on the forum has any information, is this genuine, the packaging looks to be good and from Canon but there is a doubt in my mind? Any comment/advice is welcome. Regards, Mike

Michael Maher

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
Many thanks...didn't think to look on the Canon site and my previous buys have been in a black package. I spoke to the supplier
and they were helpful and assured me its was the real thing, also I can confirm that it printed well. So concern over and thanks for your response

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
The product number is always the best guide. Canon changes packaging from time to time, and their nomenclature doesn't help. You've got your plain, no extra superlatives, your Pro, Pro II (presumably there was a Pro I), Premium and lack of Premium, etc. And that's not even getting into the surface finishes!

It's like the paper companies, all of them, just want to dazzle us with adjectives that don't tell us how A is better - or worse - than B. Pro's and con's. Even HP, until recently, having both old type swellable polymer coatings and microporous, you had to really burrow down into the marketing BS to find the implication - not the statement, the implication - that the paper is best for dye inks. Yet, they also let pigment ink users believe it's OK for them. NOT!

Rant done.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I spoke to the supplier
and they were helpful and assured me its was the real thing, also I can confirm that it printed well. So concern over and thanks for your response
Product numbers may change. Packaging changes can cause concern. You did the right thing and asked your supplier (or the manufacturer) if what you got was legit. The proof of the pudding was your print out.

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
It's also impossible to get A4 A3 sizes in my country, you have to pre-order it few weeks before ! While you can get almost any EPSON HP paper you like :

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
OP, just now buying the Platinum Pro paper, product # PT-101 (Same number as JFK's famous boat!)

It appears that the red packaging is the original, and the black is the new one. Probably to differentiate it from all the mundane Canon papers still in red.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OP, just now buying the Platinum Pro paper, product # PT-101 (Same number as JFK's famous boat!)

It appears that the red packaging is the original, and the black is the new one. Probably to differentiate it from all the mundane Canon papers still in red.
Excuse my intrusion but young JFK was manning the PT 109 and not the Canon Platinum Pro paper.. :oops:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Excuse my intrusion but young JFK was manning the PT 109 and not the Canon Platinum Pro paper.. :oops:
Impressive pick up, Deputy! :clap