Canon Pro 100 Refills

Thombar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100, Canon MX922
Having followed this forum for several months now I have become really concerned about refilling my Canon Pro 100. Well in advance of the need I purchased a complete refill kit from Precision Colors. I have read the how to videos and think I know how to refill the cartridges but I am really concerned about screwing it up and the consequences of that. I see all the negative info on clogging and print head disasters that I'm afraid of screwing my new printer up with the first attempt at refilling carts. The only printers I have ever refilled in the past were Wal-mart types and just with pre-filled carts where I just switched one cart for a new one. Is refilling really that difficult and prone to crashing your printer? What is the probability that this newbie to high end printers is going to mess things up on his first refilling attempt?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You won’t trust me on that, it’s only difficult if you over think it, just take it one step at a time and you’ll be fine. :hugs

Then afterwards you’ll be wondering what all the fuss was about and how the hell do I get this darn ink off my hands.. :lol:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
If you don't try you will never learn, we learn best from our own mistakes, that said we should learn from each other instead that the route of making expensive mistakes is avoided.

Thombar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
You won’t trust me on that, it’s only difficult if you over think it, just take it one step at a time and you’ll be fine. :hugs

Then afterwards you’ll be wondering what all the fuss was about and how the hell do I get this darn ink off my hands.. :lol:
Thanks, Hat I'll just be brave and give it a try.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
:hugs

For dyes, Scotch-bright type pads seem to work, but sodium hypoclorite (household bleach) never fails!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Thanks, Hat I'll just be brave and give it a try.
The only tip to add is don't go the whole hog the other way and try refilling everything in one go. Pick a cartridge, preferably one you have a spare or two for and then work through the process. Opening, refilling, plugging, and using just that one colour/cartridge will allow you to make any mistakes and learn from them relatively easily without having to play "Guess the cartridge" on a whole set or having to replace the entire set of cartridges either.

If you mess up, you're covered, if you don't appear to mess up, you're also covered because you're only trying to do one.

The folks on here will happily criticis..., *cough* I mean, "provide helpful feedback" ;) if you provide a run down of your process and photos to demonstrate same.

Slow and sure is the way forward. Good luck :)

Thombar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
The only tip to add is don't go the whole hog the other way and try refilling everything in one go. Pick a cartridge, preferably one you have a spare or two for and then work through the process. Opening, refilling, plugging, and using just that one colour/cartridge will allow you to make any mistakes and learn from them relatively easily without having to play "Guess the cartridge" on a whole set or having to replace the entire set of cartridges either.

If you mess up, you're covered, if you don't appear to mess up, you're also covered because you're only trying to do one.

The folks on here will happily criticis..., *cough* I mean, "provide helpful feedback" ;) if you provide a run down of your process and photos to demonstrate same.

Slow and sure is the way forward. Good luck :)
I was under the impression, from reading, that you should refill all your carts at the same time even though they don't all need it. Is this true? Should I purchase a couple of empty carts just to play with and have one hand?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I was under the impression, from reading, that you should refill all your carts at the same time even though they don't all need it. Is this true? Should I purchase a couple of empty carts just to play with and have one hand?
If you want to get the best colour representation and work in the new inkset then yes the "all-together" approach would be true. However the focus to my post was addressing your nervousness with the process of refilling. As a result I was describing a way to get comfortable with the process and once you're happy that you've resolved any niggles or problems, then you can get the remainder of inks refilled.

As to purchasing spare carts, that's your call. You should be fine overall but as I said it's about building your confidence so if that means knowing you have a backup, then all the to the good.

Does that clarify?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you going to have a go at refilling your cartridge for the first time then one cartridge is sufficient, any old CLl-8 cartridge will do to practice on.

When you get comfortable with refilling then you can move onto all of your other cartridges when they start to become empty, but first you’ll have to get supplies, like resetter, inks, plugs, syringes and a few spare cartridges especially a CLl-8 yellow.

here is a refilling method you can read to give you some ideas so you can get started, just remember shortcuts are not the way to refill properly, no jumping is allow just small sure steps.

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/top-filling-method-for-canon-cartridges.5534/
Here are a few videos to view..
http://www.precisioncolors.com/Maintenance_Canon.html

Thombar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you want to get the best colour representation and work in the new inkset then yes the "all-together" approach would be true. However the focus to my post was addressing your nervousness with the process of refilling. As a result I was describing a way to get comfortable with the process and once you're happy that you've resolved any niggles or problems, then you can get the remainder of inks refilled.

As to purchasing spare carts, that's your call. You should be fine overall but as I said it's about building your confidence so if that means knowing you have a backup, then all the to the good.

Does that clarify?
Yes, that does clarify it for me. Thanks for your assistance.
Warmest regards,
Thom