Canon Pro-10 cartridges: "EU Only"?

GrantCee

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4300, ix6520, Pro-10
Just got my Pro-10 this week (took advantage of the deal!) At the same time I found and bought a bunch of empty PGI-72 cartridges from eBay, so that I could have a spare set to refill with the new PC Signature inks.

I just noticed, however, that they're all marked "EU Only". I live in the U.S. and have a U.S. market printer; are these going to cause issues with resetting or use in my printer (i.e., the chip not matching the "zone" where the printer was sold?)

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
re these going to cause issues with resetting or use in my printer
Even if you bought a resetter that worked with the "EU" chipped cartridges, US Region printers will not recognize them. As far as I know, there is nothing that can be done to resolve this Region conflict.

While looking for a web page to show you the various Regions, I cam across this tidbit:

"Update: It is possible to alter the region of cartridges, notably using a "redsetter" device, which also resets ink levels (as electronically recorded)."
https://superuser.com/questions/450614/how-can-i-alter-the-region-lock-on-a-canon-printer

I am not aware this is true. Unless a trusted member here posts that they have successfully altered the Region on the chip then I would take the above quote as not true (or unsubstantiated at best).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the PGI-72 cartridges are independent of regions like the CLI-42cartridges. The region dependent cartridges have a first digit indicating the region it is intended for.

I think the "EU only" marking is due to some tax, customs or trade reasons. See this thread about a similar region problem with some CLI-42 cartridges.

There has been one or more confirmed case(s) of region change of chips on cartridges for a non-Pro model Canon printer from US to EU or vice versa on the forum. An original REdSETTER was used for the region change. See this thread.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@GranCee, once you have purchased the proper redsetter for your CLl-72 carts, everything will work out ok, the current carts that came with the printer are CLl-72 and the newly purchased empty ones are also CLl-72, they are all the same, there are no regional CLl-72 chips make, so they work worldwide...

Panic over...;)

There are reports of redsetters from one zone resetting chips from another zone, and that is all, but it’s impossible to alter a chips code to suite another zone/region, they are fixed...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, the PGI-72 since it is a low volume model, was not regionalized by Canon.

Now as far as transforming regionalized chips, it was possible in the 220/221 era with a asian resetter I had back then. Remember though the 220/221 was the first time Canon regionalized chips. It is also possible that Canon later changed the coding as well because it is now clear that that on the 225/226 which came after the 220/221, there are two different type of chips from the OEM Canon carts. It is possible that during the 225/226 generation Canon made it so that the region could not be changed as it was on the 220/221. Maybe thereafter, regionalization was hard locked.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I think the PGI-72 cartridges are independent of regions like the CLI-42cartridges. The region dependent cartridges have a first digit indicating the region it is intended for.
there are no regional CLl-72 chips make, so they work worldwide...
Excellent info. Thank you for the correction!

There has been one or more confirmed case(s) of region change of chips on cartridges for a non-Pro model Canon printer from US to EU or vice versa on the forum. An original REdSETTER was used for the region change. See this thread.
There are reports of redsetters from one zone resetting chips from another zone, and that is all, but it’s impossible to alter a chips code to suite another zone/region, they are fixed...
Which is it - resetters capable of altering the chip Region or not?

EDIT -- Just read mikling's post. According to him "maybe" there is no more Region changing ability unless you have old 220/221 cartridges.

Last edited:

GrantCee

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4300, ix6520, Pro-10
Thanks for clearing that up. Keeping track of who's doing what DRM scheme on which printer is almost a full time job!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Chips are not regionalized. Printer models are. Note the distinction.
For example the Pro-10 in Japan I think uses a PGI-73.
On other Desktops, a similar thing happens. It is obvious why the chips is never regionalized..... cartridge inventory would be a disaster zone.
Epson and Canon practices the same thing. The MODEL of printer might have the same model number BUT the cartridge specifications are different if regionalisation takes place. So when discussing suitability of a cartridge, it is important to define the cartridge number via the chip family. Trying to determine compatibility by comparing model number can lead to errors very often nowadays.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Chips are not regionalized. Printer models are. Note the distinction.
To clarify... True for the Pro series printers but not for non-Pro series printers. It would seem to be a "lock and key" situation with the non-Pro printer and the cartridge's chip both region dependent. Neither works without the other, barring workarounds.

i like your supposition that the low volume sales of the Pro printers as cause for lack of regionalization for the printers and chips.