Canon pro-1 question regarding clogging

Sladd88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-1 + canon pro 100
Hi guys,
so i got this pro-1 for free since the last owner says it was clogging.
She was a woman photographer...

When i got it home and started it up only 3 cartridges were empty, the rest is 85-100% full.

Not sure what to do now, i ordered 3 new cartridges( PBK, DGY, PM ).

Do you have any suggestion what to do before i start it up again ?

Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Sladd88 and welcome, you certainly got a great bargain, and you have done the right thing coming here before you tried to unclog the head yourself first.

When you get the new cartridges installed, the first thing to do is to run a nozzle check and then one normal cleaning cycle, followed by another nozzle check.

Now check each of the nozzle prints to see how much the nozzles are clogged and if the second one is getting any better than the first,(Compare both) if not then run a deep clean cycle and leave the printer to sit for a few hours before trying another nozzle check.

Unclogging the head may take a bit of time and that’s only if the previous owner hasn’t damaged the head before you got the printer, just leave it powered on and don’t be tempted to print any test sheets other than nozzle prints...

It would be good if you can come back later and post your latest nozzle check for us to see, patience is your best friend so take things slowly, the head may not have been damaged..

Sladd88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you for really fast reply.
I will try that.
Only thing i did so far is that i took out all the ink absorbers and washed them. They were full of ink from what it looks to me came from borderless 4x6, 5x7 and A4/8.5x11.
I have canon pro 100 from before, got it running on precision ink for 15monts now, never had any issues.

I will update the thread with results after you proposition.

Quick question :
I took out the cards, and the empty ones are 54-56grams, is it not 45grams the empty cards should be ? so there is still like 10ml/gram of ink in there ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Only thing i did so far is that i took out all the ink absorbers and washed them.
To disassemble the Pro 1 printer, you need to keep it powered from the wall to prevent a complete lock down, and if your printer can’t enter Service Mode then all you good work will have been for nothing...
I took out the cards, and the empty ones are 54-56grams, is it not 45grams the empty cards should be ? so there is still like 10ml/gram of ink in there
When the printer declares a cartridge completely empty there is always some ink remaining in the cartridge, this is for safety reasons, that’s to prevent air from entering the ink system, the remaining ink is just excess, and can be recovered later.

If you accidently let air into the ink system the printer will detects this and run an extra-long purge on all the cartridges, which wastes far more ink than was left in one declared empty cartridge...

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
When i got it home and started it up only 3 cartridges were empty, the rest is 85-100% full.

Not sure what to do now, i ordered 3 new cartridges( PBK, DGY, PM ).

Were these carts OEM or were they from a 3rd party?

Sladd88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
All the Cards are OEM. Just got replaced the empty cards with new ones and nozzle check looks good.
On the PBK i kind of see some lines but not really sure. Not much experience with clogged nozzles, so can the clogg be so small ?
See pictures bellow, and feel free to comment.

Bilde 12.03.2018, 20 40 04.jpg Bilde 12.03.2018, 20 40 10.jpg Bilde 12.03.2018, 20 39 44.jpg
ke9vq7

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Way to go, because you’ve just got a get out of jail free card.
Everything is perfect, now enjoy your new printer...:thumbsup

Sladd88

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Way to go, because you’ve just got a get out of jail free card.
Everything is perfect, now enjoy your new printer...:thumbsup

Thank you for your help, took a print out on Canon pro luster A4 and everything looks perfect.
Just not really sure what the woman who gave it to me for free was having problems with :p good for me :)

Latest posts