Canon Pro 1 - Pause Printing

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
On the Canon Pro 1, I'm trying to pause the printing but the "Pause Printing" is grayed out. Does anyone know how to enable this option?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What do you mean by "pause printing"? What is it you are trying to accomplish?

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
What do you mean by "pause printing"? What is it you are trying to accomplish?

I'm building a console app that will issue a nozzle check to all my printers. I have it working for the Canon Pro 10, 100, 9500 Mark II but the Pro 1 has a issue with the "Pause Printing" option grayed out. Looking further into it, there is an option to "Run As Administrator" and when checked, it allows me to pause the printing. I need the printing paused so I can get the .SPL file (created when a print job is initiated) and copy it so I can run it time and time again. The app will run quietly in the background waiting to print just prior to the 60 hour counter for a necessary cleaning cycle.

Does anyone have an image that will exercise all the print head channels BUT use the smallest amount of ink possible?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since the nozzle check is generated at the printer level, is there a spool file created?

I find it interesting that a nozzle check cancels a scheduled maintenance cleaning cycle. I've read on the forum that people claim this is true. but I've not tinkered with it.

Good luck and let us know. I would be interested in your results.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
On the Canon Pro 1, I'm trying to pause the printing
Try printing two test sheets and then a nozzle check, and if you have the print spooler already open it will be third in the queue, then you can copy it, before it disappears, the nozzle print is the only thing that will use all the nozzles and no other, not even QImage.

By the way, you can’t stop the printer from doing the necessary cleaning cycles, you can only delay them, but they will happen regardless anyway, and leaving the printer on 24/7 is not the wisest thing to do either.
Quote “Birds of a Feather flock together” ... :smack

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Since the nozzle check is generated at the printer level, is there a spool file created?

Yes, there is a spool file created. The below link shows how to go about creating a batch file...

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...to-do-nozzle-checks-as-a-scheduled-task.3494/

I believe that the 60 hour clock starts from the last print job, and in my case that would be nozzle check (or another image if I find one that exercises all the nozzles). The core of the logic for my app is to send a print job in the 59th hour so not to initiate the cleaning cycle.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Try printing two test sheets and then a nozzle check, and if you have the print spooler already open it will be third in the queue, then you can copy it, before it disappears, the nozzle print is the only thing that will use all the nozzles and no other, not even QImage.

This was originally why I wanted to pause the printer... This way I can initiate the nozzle check, then go inside the "C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS" and get the .SPL file. The trick was "Run As Administrator" for the Canon Pro 1 (all the others I didn't need to run as an administrator) and there it was... :)

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
By the way, you can’t stop the printer from doing the necessary cleaning cycles, you can only delay them, but they will happen regardless anyway, and leaving the printer on 24/7 is not the wisest thing to do either.

What would be the "Best Practice" for keeping your printer healthy, especially if you don't print... say weekly?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What would be the "Best Practice" for keeping your printer healthy, especially if you don't print... say weekly?
Just turn it off and leave it sit there, if you’re not using your printer often, it will come to no harm leaving it ideal, yes it will be necessary to run a cleaning cycle when you turn it back on and no it wont clog up, even after six months.

Some say this is wasteful and uses a lot of ink, but I found the differ, its much like Morse code... dot, dash, dot, dash, with long and short cleaning cycles, but 2 short cycles are equal to 1 long, I have a printer potty fitted and so can verify the results.

Just don’t turn the printer on / off all the time, because then the waste adds up to a little bit more than normal, hold all your print jobs back till you have enough to print, say for a few hours...

The Pro 1 has an active built in time clock that can’t be fiddled or fooled with, and if you try, it will cost you...

All inkjet printers should be used as much as possible, and it is true they don’t like being ideal, because if they are then they’ll use up more ink on you...