Canon PRO-1 clogged head

gsnow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-1 and Canon PRO-4000
We have a Canon PRO-1 printer which was purchased shortly after it was released.

I've included an image of the resulting Nozzle Check pattern which has shown the same clogged Grey since the problem took hold. I noticed the issue about a year ago and have not printed any images since then but I have, from time to time, done cleanings, deep cleanings and system cleanings since I encountered the problem. It was my hope that the issue would rectify itself at some point along the way, however, after reading some of the threads posted in this forum I believe I need to move forward in a different way...I'm just not sure how.

The printer has seen intermittent use with infrequent but consistent periods of heavy use. We have relied upon it to print various yearly jobs which are spaced several months apart but require 2-3 hours of printing over the course of 2-3 days at a time. I have noticed and been able to fix the occasional clogged print head and, up until now, the maintenance features in the software have been adequate.

We are using and have only used the proper Canon ink cartridges which have not past their expiry date.

Over this past year we've used another printer out of necessity but it would be a shame to not use this one and in many instances it would be my preference to use the PRO-1. Any insights or help you can provide would be very much appreciated. I've read similar threads from other posters in this forum who have almost identical issues as I'm seeing and it seems that they have all gotten to the point where their next step is to try to remove and clean the print head.

Thank you,
Gregory

Attachments

• 20210119_110300.jpg
    20210119_110300.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 165

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm seeing and it seems that they have all gotten to the point where their next step is to try to remove and clean the print head.
There’s no point in wasting ink cleaning the printer, it needs a new print head, when you can source a new print head from an Authorised dealer, and not EBay, then come back and we can help you with installation. Sorry..

P.S. question;- did you upgrade the Firmware ?...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The straight line split of the GY nozzle check swatch is classic for an irreparable electrical malfunction. Nature abhors straight lines but electrical malfunctions love them. Generally, a new print head resolves this issue.

It may be a bad logic assay board but that seems to be quite rare. Even rarer are crossover electrical malfunctions propagated from the print head to the logic assay board or vice versa.The catastrophe would be bad logic assay board shorts out new print head. Ouch.

Good news is a new print head typically resolves your issue.

Nota Bene: Do not attempt removal of the print head without proper instructions or you may wind up with an expensive paper weight. The Hat can help with replacement (not bricking! ;)).

gsnow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model

Attachments

• 20210119_121150.jpg
    20210119_121150.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 172

gsnow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
The straight line split of the GY nozzle check swatch is classic for an irreparable electrical malfunction. Nature abhors straight lines but electrical malfunctions love them. Generally, a new print head resolves this issue.

It may be a bad logic assay board but that seems to be quite rare. Even rarer are crossover electrical malfunctions propagated from the print head to the logic assay board or vice versa.The catastrophe would be bad logic assay board shorts out new print head. Ouch.

Good news is a new print head typically resolves your issue.

Nota Bene: Do not attempt removal of the print head without proper instructions or you may wind up with an expensive paper weight. The Hat can help with replacement (not bricking! ;)).
Thanks stratman. I appreciate you both taking the time to help. I'll talk to my colleague about what our possibilities are and keep you posted on any developments.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is it possible that that may help?
Doubtful but read the description of the update to see if it discusses your specific problem.

I would bet our fearless Moderator The Hat's next paycheck there will be NO fix by a software update. It is an irreparable electrical issue.

I avoid all updates for my printers (and wireless routers) unless the description of the update details either a specific fix to a problem I have (very rare) or there is some new function I just have to have (basically a unicorn).