Canon Pixma Pro 9500 MarkII Clogged

pipes55

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My canon pixma pro printer 9500 markII sat idle for some months replaced ink and the jets are plugged up bad. Repeated cleaning with on board program is not making a dent in problem. Is there any way to manually clean the ink jets and/or the print head..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pipes55
Its most unusual to get a clog on that type of printer, are you using OEM inks.
Try running a deep cleaning on the heads and then a nozzle check instead of the normal head clean and see if there is any difference at all.. :|

pipes55

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes i tried deep clean with no success, i was informed that if the unit remained idle for long periods of time that nozzles will plug up which seems to be my issue. i replaced original ink cartridges with compatabile ones but the jets were plugged already it appears

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Its most unusual to get a clog on that type of printer, are you using OEM inks.
TH ... you probably already know this, but the 9500-2 uses pigment inks, which I would think would be more inclined to clog compared to die inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pipes55 i was informed that if the unit remained idle for long periods of time that nozzles will plug up which seems to be my issue.
I dont know who gave you that information but they couldnt be more wrong.
The last thing you need in that printer are compatible cartridge, they just dont work properly, they tend to cause ink starvation leading to what looks like clog print heads.

Take out the print head and clean it under a water tap and then soak it in some Windex overnight.
Completely dry the print head with some mild heat source and try it again, please take your time.

Then use the standard head clean followed with a nozzle check the results should be a big improvement, using your OEM cartridges is always recommended for this printer.. ;)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Ink starvation or bad ink flow from the cartridge can cause similar errors -
but I think clogging (caused by dried up ink in the pipes or nozzles of the printhead) is a main issue of printers which remained idle for long periods.

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2723&t=printer_cleaning_how_to_clean_canon_print_heads

Important: you should not print (except nozzle tests) until all nozzles are working. Because without ink a bubble jet print head (not a piezo like epson) will get overheated and damaged nozzles

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
My son has a Canon with pigment black for text (BCI-3bk). He let it sit unused for a year and wondered why the black wouldn't print (surprisingly, the BCI-6 C/M/Y dye based inks all printed perfectly with just a cleaning cycle or two).

We pulled the carts and print head, then folded a paper towel 3 times (to make it 8 times thicker). With the towel in a container in the sink, we poured a little straight ammonia onto the towel (just enough to saturate the towel), then repeatedly pressed the print head straight down onto the towel until we could see ink push up from the inlet screens as we pressed down, then keep going about that long again. We fitted a syringe with a short piece of plastic tubing that slid over the inlet filter and pushed distilled water through each port on the print head to flush out the ammonia. We then used an empty syringe to push air through each port to blow any residual liquid from the head.

Every nozzle but one was opened up in a single cleaning.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Grandad35 said:
Every nozzle but one was opened up in a single cleaning.
And then what?

You stopped further cleaning attempts and the nozzle never opened, or, did you continue on some course - more cleanings or just began printing - until that last nozzle opened? Maybe a new print head? Trashed the printer?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
stratman said:
And then what?
One clogged nozzle out of several hundred for the pigment black wasn't noticeable on text printing. He was in a hurry and had to get home, so he declared it to be "good enough". This was over a month ago - I'll have him run a nozzle check and see it the clogged nozzle opened up or if others clogged since the cleaning.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good story, GD. How did you know it was just one nozzle?