Canon Pixma MP620

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
After getting my laptop infected with malware and unable to completely get rid of it I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and now the laptop is fine. The snag came when I went to Canon to download a driver. Unfortunately my printer no longer supported.

I would appreciate any suggestions

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon website states the following concerning drivers for Windows 10:

"Canon will not issue drivers for this model to support the Windows 10 operating system. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers should function in the Windows 10 environment with some limitations which are currently unknown to Canon."

The same message occurs for my MP830, which does work as expected using Windows 8.x drivers with Windows 10 operating system. You should be able to successfully install your printer as well.

There are a couple ways of installing the drivers for your printer:

Except for #3, you want to start with a clean slate by uninstalling the MP630 from Printers And Devices and any MP630 drivers if currently on your printer.

1) Unplug the printer from your computer, reboot, plug in the printer and let plug and play install the printer from its own internal drivers. You may need to plug in the printer while the computer is off (before rebooting) to work, I forget which method works.

2) Download the appropriate 32 or 64 bit Windows 8.x drivers for your printer from the Canon website and install them as per usual procedure.

3) If you followed #2 but the installed printer drivers are not working then try using Windows Compatability Mode.

4) Install the older printer driver using Windows Compatability Mode.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Canon website states the following concerning drivers for Windows 10:

"Canon will not issue drivers for this model to support the Windows 10 operating system. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers should function in the Windows 10 environment with some limitations which are currently unknown to Canon."

The same message occurs for my MP830, which does work as expected using Windows 8.x drivers with Windows 10 operating system. You should be able to successfully install your printer as well.

There are a couple ways of installing the drivers for your printer:

Except for #3, you want to start with a clean slate by uninstalling the MP630 from Printers And Devices and any MP630 drivers if currently on your printer.

1) Unplug the printer from your computer, reboot, plug in the printer and let plug and play install the printer from its own internal drivers. You may need to plug in the printer while the computer is off (before rebooting) to work, I forget which method works.

2) Download the appropriate 32 or 64 bit Windows 8.x drivers for your printer from the Canon website and install them as per usual procedure.

3) If you followed #2 but the installed printer drivers are not working then try using Windows Compatability Mode.

4) Install the older printer driver using Windows Compatability Mode.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Downloaded Windows 8.1 64 followed your instructions. I thought I might have to use a wired connection but for some reason it would not complete the install. I then tried the wireless route, it found my router straight away and is printing as good as ever. great and very speedy assistance. Keep well clear of Scanguard and many of the suggested sites which say they can clear it. Malwarebytes will put a flag up against all of them.

I now have a computer running at normal speed, and no pointer freezes

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Stratman is right and you posted before I could finish this, there are no problems with installing the MP620 under W10.

I own both a laptop running W10 32 bit and a Canon MP620, so I did a test. I downloaded a 32 bit driver for the MP620 from the Canon UK website. There is no driver available for W10, but a driver for W8.1 32 bit is available here. Download the " Mini Master Setup". It is similar to the driver as found on the install cd, with full functionality. Installing this file is done in the same way as installing from the driver CD. Run the file and do not connect the printer to the computer before asked to do so. See this for the 64 bit download if your laptop is running win 10 64 bit.

It was not necessary to use compatibility mode when installing the 32 bit driver on my W10 32 bit laptop. The printer is fully functional, the scanner part is also fully functional.

Here is proof that the MP620 is installed on my laptop

MP620 installed.jpg

Last edited: