Canon Pixma MG5250 "Inner cover is open" error

mattforg23

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG5250
Hello. I have a canon mg-5250 printer and after printing a large amount of pages I started having the "close the inner cover error" almost in every print.I have been using compatible inks without a problem so far.It goes without saying that the inner cover IS definitely closed.I read elsewhere in the forum that the contact sensor may require cleaning because it's quite sensitive but I don't know where to find it or what cleaning fluid I should use.Some photos would be greatly appreciated.I also performed a factory reset and for 10 minutes it seemed as if the problem went away but after the latest print it came back..Please help.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have experienced the same with other Canon printers, The switch is not hermetically sealed and the contact surfaces become corroded over time. It is a fiddly job but the switch can be disassembled and cleaned and work again.

This post has links to the service manual and to a post about cleaning the switch. Also note the warning not to try to unsolder the switch.

The images of the switch are not very good, I have tried to adjust them. I attach the adjusted images as a zip folder.

I wish you good luck with cleaniong the switch. The printer deserves it. It is a better printer than the following generation of Canon printers IMO.

Attachments

• Switch.zip
    298.8 KB · Views: 598

mattforg23

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG5250
Much obliged.A little harder than I anticipated but I'll make due.Thank you