Canon Pixma iP4850 ink smear problem.

mtw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p800
Hi, I've been printing some cards on my Canon Pixma iP4850. The card paper is 300 gsm and I printed out quite a few successfully untli it started smearing the bottom left cromer of the print (top right corner of the card as it goes into the printer when you look at the printer from the front)

I've tried all the maintenance things (clening, deep cleaning, bottom plate cleaning) and have also taken out the ink head and given it a thorough clean. But the problem is still happening. I've attached a pic of the problem.

I'm using proper canon inks btw. Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing it?

Attachments

• Ink_smear.jpg
    Ink_smear.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 530

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Maybe the parking pads are not purged enough.
After time the whole purge area becomes full of ink.
You can spray Windex (or water with a few drops of ammonia) on the pads with a syringe (this can be done with the printhead in the middle just as you change carts, use a small flashlight to see what you do).
Spray on the wipers (the small vertical plastic fins just behind the purge pads) too and eventually clean them with a cotton swab on a stick.
When closing the top the printer will do a purge cycle.
Ammonia will solve possible ink clogs in the purge tubes.
Repeat this a few times if needed.

Last edited:

mtw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p800
Maybe the parking pads are not purged enough.
After time the whole purge area becomes full of ink.
You can spray Windex (or water with a few drops of ammonia) on the pads with a syringe (this can be done with the printhead in the middle just as you change carts, use a small flashlight to see what you do).
Spray on the wipers (the small vertical plastic fins just behind the purge pads) too and eventually clean them with a cotton swab on a stick.
When closing the top the printer will do a purge cycle.
Ammonia will solve possible ink clogs in the purge tubes.
Repeat this a few times if needed.

Ok, I'll give that a go, thank you! :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I've tried all the maintenance things (clening, deep cleaning, bottom plate cleaning) and have also taken out the ink head and given it a thorough clean
Hi @mtw1 and welcome, All the cleaning in the world won’t cure your head strike problem, but it’s still good to give the print head a clean now and then, but next time don’t remove the print head, it’s not necessary, just use some of the methods that @palombian recommended.

The card your printing on is not perfectly flat and has either a curl, a bow in the middle or the edges are not very straight, and one of the ways to help prevent a head strike in this situation is to tick the box in Prevent Paper Abrasion, you can find that in maintenance/Custom Settings...

mtw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p800
Hi @mtw1 and welcome, All the cleaning in the world won’t cure your head strike problem, but it’s still good to give the print head a clean now and then, but next time don’t remove the print head, it’s not necessary, just use some of the methods that @palombian recommended.

The card your printing on is not perfectly flat and has either a curl, a bow in the middle or the edges are not very straight, and one of the ways to help prevent a head strike in this situation is to tick the box in Prevent Paper Abrasion, you can find that in maintenance/Custom Settings...

Hi, ok great, I'll give that a go, I didn't even see that setting beforehand. :-S Thank you :)

mtw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p800

This worked! Thank you :)