Canon Pixma IP3000 won't print red...only brown or orange.

mohara

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I need help desperately, and by Wednesday!!!

The item I am using is a logo that is a "brick red" color, and automatically, my Canon Pixma ip3000 prints it brownish. When I used an imaging software and made the red more of a "candy apple" red, then it prints orange. It is skipping red altogether. I was trying to adjust the colors manually, but I don't know which ones I should be increasing or decreasing. Do I increase magenta or cyan and decrease yellow? I am basically getting no red and I have only had the printer for 3 months, and I have only printed maybe 20 documents on it. I have run the nozzle check and the print head cleaning, and everything checks out fine. Should I just try buying a new print head anyways? Or should I do some sort of soaking of the cartridges? I touch the bottom of each cartridge to a paper towel and they all "drip" their proper color. Someone on another site said the red must be there if I am able to get brown and orange. I just don't know what to do.
What could it be????? I need this image for Wednesday.
Thanks in advance for all your help!

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sounds like you are having flow problems with the magenta cartridge.....try replacing that cart if deep cleaning does not solve the problem as the first step.

Bob

mohara

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I will post one when I get home tonight...(I'm currently at work).
I've spoken to Canon, and they feel there is no trouble with the printer, print head or inks. They said I can try enabling the ICM function - which I tried last night and it didn't accomplish anything. They also said I can try tweaking the colors manually...decreasing the yellow and increasing the cyan, but that will affect the whole image. Gosh I just don't know what else to do...

mohara

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I got an "error forbidden" code when I tried to click on the link of where you wanted me to upload the photo. Do you know why?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N

liamtoh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with my IP4000. Although photograps, printed with Canon easy Photo-print software, do print red. Its Illustrator, indesign, Photoshop, Word etc that prints either brown or orange....

I think it is a setting you need to do, but which??

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This might sound weird but what the heck...
It could be that your monitor is not adjusted right? what might be brown appears red on your monitor, so that
when you think you are using red, you are actually using brown, therefore it's printing brown.
Try downloading a picture of a red apple. Or a clipart which you know is red, like santa claus, firetruck, etc. See if it is really red in your monitor, then print that clipart.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Try unclogging the Cyan nuzzle on the printhead, it sounds like you are not getting enough Cyan ink. if you have an empty Cyan cartridge, fill it with Windex, and print about 5 pages of just Dark Cyan. It would be even better if after running the 5 pages you let it sit overnight and repeat the process the next day. It can also be that the cartridge itself is clogged, so you may want to try a new cartridge.

Robert