Canon Pixma IP 2000 Power Supply - part number K30229

RoyThomas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a Canon Pixma IP 2000 with a blown power supply (European Version) Input 220/240 volt, 50/60HZ 0.35A and Output 24 Volt 1.1A.

The power out (to the printer) is by way of a molex plug that has two blue and one red wire.

Does anyone know how the power to the wiring is arranged for this (is it just that the red is 24v + and the blue ground?) - alternatively where could I get a replacement - I can't find anything on the web so far.

Regards, Roy

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Roy,

1. Have you checked to make sure that there isn't a short in the printer that is dragging down the power supply?
2. If you can't find a replacement power supply, are you looking to replace it with an external supply? Are you just looking for a way to identify which wires are connected to ground and 24VDC to allow you to use the external supply?

RoyThomas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

Bit more progress. When I investigated the power supply I discovered it had blown the fuse on its own circuit board, which I replaced and it happened again (while not connected to the printer). Therefore I doubt that the printer's own circuitry would have caused this, power supplies sometimes do fail.

The issue of the different blue wires seems to relate to other Canon models that had both 24 volt and 5/7 volt power from the power supply and hence different wires from the Molex plug to deal with this. The IP 2000 only has one output voltage (24 volt, which is stated on the cover) and I see two of the wires on the circuit board to the Molex plug are soldered together. Why they bothered to use two blue wires to the printers circuit board is a mystery as they are effectively connected to the same pin on the power supply side.

I would use a 24 volt external power supply if I could easily get one but the only source I can find so far is eBay and they are expensive.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Roy

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Roy,

Sometimes two separate ground wires are used just to reduce the impedence of the ground wire - it's often cheaper than buying a larger connector and using a single larger ground wire.

Here is a link (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Internation...oryZ4665QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) to a supply that would fit your needs, but obviously you would want something closer to home to solve the shipping hassles.

Since you obviously have electrical experience, do you know anyone who tinkers with electronics and who may have a spare supply on their shelf. It is very possible that your existing supply is unregulated (to reduce costs). Since most of the power is used to drive the stepper motors for the carriage and paper feed, that power doesn't have to be closely regulated, and the circuit board should already have its own low power on-board regulator to provide stable voltage for the processor. However, to be on the safe side, you might want to look for a regulated power supply.

Having said all of this, I would just throw the printer away and buy a new one, given its low price and the fact that you get a new set of carts and a spare print head with a new printer. Unless you just like to tinker for the fun of it, it doesn't make economic sense to buy a new power supply for this printer. I assume that this printer is out of warranty.