Canon OEM ink tanks-stil useable?

nelda

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was cleaning out my office and found an old BC-31e cartridge (print head and ink tanks CYM) for my now dead BJC-6000. It is new in the package (never opened). The only stamped information is the number "3101L13" on the back. No expiration date. It has to be at least 18 months old (maybe 2 years).

Questions:

1. Do you think the ink is still good?
2. Can I use the BCI-3e ink tanks in the place of BCI-6 (the CMY colors, not the black, I understnd the difference betwen BCI- 6 and -3e blacks)
3. If the ink is not good, can I still use the ink tanks inthe iP5000 or s950?
4. Anyone have any use for the printhead?

I notice that they are still available on ebay, perhaps I should try selling it. I wouldn't want to sell bad ink though.

TIA, you-all are a great resource!

Nelda

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
nelda said:
I was cleaning out my office and found an old BC-31e cartridge (print head and ink tanks CYM) for my now dead BJC-6000. It is new in the package (never opened). The only stamped information is the number "3101L13" on the back. No expiration date. It has to be at least 18 months old (maybe 2 years).

Questions:

1. Do you think the ink is still good?
=== Most likely. I've used ink much older without any problems.

2. Can I use the BCI-3e ink tanks in the place of BCI-6 (the CMY colors, not the black, I understnd the difference betwen BCI- 6 and -3e blacks)
=== Not too good an idea. You can use BCI-6 ink in machines designed for BCI-3, but going the other way is questionable. With refill inks available at relatively low cost I see no reason to use the BCI-3 inks.

3. If the ink is not good, can I still use the ink tanks inthe iP5000 or s950?
=== The tanks are still fine to use. Refer to the threads from Grandad about flushing out older cartridges.

4. Anyone have any use for the print head?
=== Your thoughts about selling it on eBay make the most sense to me. I wouldn't worry about the ink being bad. Those print heads (and the BCI-33 heads for the BJC-3000) just keep on ticking. I've got a brand new spare for my ancient BJC-3000 that has never been installed. The original print head refuses to go bad, regardless of the abuse it receives. It's a shame that Canon doesn't sell the heads for the newer printers as a supply item like they did for the older models.

=== Ron

I notice that they are still available on ebay, perhaps I should try selling it. I wouldn't want to sell bad ink though.

TIA, you-all are a great resource!

Nelda