Canon MX882 service tool? Help!

brg2

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX882
Hello all.
Yes, it is 2023 and my MX882 was new maybe, what, 10 years or more ago?
Fantastic printer, but it is now throwing the "ink absorber almost full message"

I found the service manual so I know how to disassemble the machine to get to and clean the ink absorbers.
However, from reading a ton of other posts, it seems that is not sufficent on its own. I also need to reset some counter. And, to do that, I need software called servicetool.exe to reset the counter. One place I read that v3600 is the version I need, but it is not clear to whether that is correct.

Elsewhere I have found varying advice on how to reset the counter without the service tool, but so far I have been unsuccessful. Suggestions such as:
  1. power off, hold down stop button for 2 seconds, press and hold power, release stop, release power, press stop 5 times, turn off, back on
  2. power off, press and hold stop while holding down power until light comes on, release stop, press stop 2 times, release power, when light is steady, press stop 4 times
  3. I think I saw another today - pretty much the same except press stop 3 times, wait for light, release power, press stop 4 times
I am sure there are a nearly infinite number of permutations.

I enjoy fixing things, and I hate to send the printer to the landfill because in every other way it still works perfectly! Canon should be happy that I will continue to buy their ink. And, it isn't me being cheap. I also have a new top of the line Epson Eco tank and a larger Brother Pro MFC-J6540DW. But I have the Canon configured the way I like, and it works well with my Canon digital SLR cameras

Can anyone tell me WHICH version of the service tool is the right one for the MX882, and WHERE I can acquire that?
Or ...
Is it possible to do a full reset WITHOUT the service tool, and can anyone provide the exact steps necessary for the 882?

Thank you very much in advance! Yeah, I am one of those old-school dudes. Still listen to CDs. Have 1200 vinyl albums. Have a 12" reel-to-reel that I still listen to. But, those are stories for another day and (presumably) another forum site

Bruce

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual for the MX880 series printers which you have already got is one of the best and most detailed Canon service manuals I have seen. For others that might like to see it it is here.

Page 51/76 in the service manual shows a service tool version 2.000. This means that version 2,000 or newer (higher version number) can be used. The old service tools sometimes have problems with 64 bit Windows so I recommend the use of version 3400 for your printer.

I tried searching for that version on the web, but only found dead links, sites that were blocked by Malwarebytes Browser Guard or sites I didn't trust. Luckily you can find the service tool on this forum. Here it is attached as a .rar archive in a post by @CakeHole and here as an .exe file in a post by @The Hat . The file has been renamed to .zip but is not zipped, so it should be renamed to .exe, and not unzipped before use.

I think the procedure to enter service mode in the Canon service manuals is not always clear, so here is an instruction for the MG5250 printer. This instruction is also valid for your printer. Notice this from the instruction:

The service tool can only be used with a Windows computer, you cannot use Mac and Linux computers. The service tool only works with a USB connection, Wireless cannot be used even if the printer might have this capability. It is also important that only the printer you want to perform service mode operations on is connected to the computer. No other printers must be connected to the computer.

Good luck with the reset.

brg2

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX882
Wow, THANK YOU! I had also searched for quite some time, looking for a download of the service tool, but found either dead links, links that Norton flagged as dangerous, or links that I didn't trust just from looking at them! And while I scanned the service manual for references to the correct version of the service manual to be using, I somehow missed those so thanks for pointing those out! I had suspected (but was not sure) that any version equal to or higher than what the 882 needed would work, I just missed that it was version 2000 or better that I needed. For all the download pages I found online, the 882 was mysteriously not listed

Thanks also very much for the additional instructions/example regarding resetting the absorber count. Luckily, the printer is connected via USB to a Windows PC, so I think I am all set, as long as I can get the timing (if it is critical) of pushing the buttons, cicking my heels together, and chanting.

The other thing I need to figure out (I suspect the service manual shows enough detail to figure it out) is how to actually remove the absorber sponges to clean. Prior to discovering the service manual, I had attempted to grab and remove what I think is the absorber, with a pair of angled forceps, but couldn't grab it (not a ton of room to see or work in there). I suppose I need to just take the extra time to remove the cover/scanner piece so I have an open area to work

Thanks again, a million!